Userpic

mkchris
Traveller
20 comments

Posted 13 years ago

Hi,

Just bought a rucksack from Tesco's. I'm a bit dubious about whether it will be up to the job as it only cost me £35, but it ticks all the right boxes - 70l plus a 15l detachable day pack, adjustable/padded back and shoulders, chest strap, compression straps, rain cover, loads of separate compartments etc. Fabric seems quite strong, it fits me OK and felt comfortable enough with about 15kg of books crammed it in on my test run round the park! Bit of a long shot, but has anyone on here backpacked for 4 weeks with a supermarket own brand rucksack???

It still has the label on so I could take it back if I wanted to, but I can't find anything which has the same features as this one even though I would be willing to pay more for something a bit better. The main thing I am struggling with is finding something with a detachable day back, which to me would be really handy.

Cheers,
Chris.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Lordmwa
Traveller
117 comments

replied 13 years ago

That sounds like a really good deal to me. I would be highly surprised if it broke so it was un-usable while you were away and i would say it isnt worth the extra money for a big brand one.

If you do use it i would be interested to hear how it is

Userpic

mkchris
Traveller
20 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi,

An update...

Had a look in Blacks yesterday and they have a Eurohike 65+15 travel pack which I quite like. Reduced from £79 to £49 so it looks like a good deal.

Main advantages of this one against the one I got from Tesco are a) the whole thing zips away which is better for going on planes - the other one has lots of loose straps which I'll need to tie up and you can't really tuck the hip pads away, b) it's not so tall so the pack begins at my shoulder level wheras the other one begins about half way down my head - mind you this one sticks out further instead, c) you can open it more like a suitcase from the sides rather than having to go into the top, d) hip pads are bit larger and fit a bit lower down.

Disadvantages are a) only one storage area in the main sack, b) no rain cover, c) no obvious place for sleeping bag - the Tesco one has a large enough space to stow it away in the hood, d) not so many reviews online to check how others people found it.

General quality and comfort - not much to pick between them to be honest.

I guess the Tesco one would be more suitable for climbing/hiking whearas the one at Blacks is more of a suitcase/rucksack combi for city breaks etc. Not sure which would be more suitable for a month in Europe - or which would be more comfortable... Is it better to share the weight across the height of a taller sack rather than have a shorter one which sticks out further, or am I just imagining that....

Cheers,
Chris.