Userpic

Otto
Traveller
4 comments

Posted 9 months ago

Is Golden Express Montreux-Interlaken Ost and Interlaken Ost-Kleine Scheidegg in Interrail included ?
I have no problems with the seat reservations.
Sorry, I am quite new with Interrail and did not find it in the Rail Planner.
Help would be very appreciated. Cheers Otto

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
911 comments

replied 9 months ago

The Golden Pass route (Montreux-Zweisimmen with MOB, Zweisimmen-Interlaken with BLS and Interlaken-Luzern with ZB) is covered by Interrail The actual GoldenPass express is up to 4 round trips per day of a train that runs through from Montreux to Interlaken, you have to check reservation requirements and fees. These should all be in Railplanner, along with the other trains on the route which have the same views out of the side windows. But Railplanner may default to fastest route which would be via Visp and not this route, in which case you should specify via Zweisimmen. The 07:35 and 14:35 departures from Montreux, previously advertised as direct train to Interlaken are currently running only to Zweisimmen with a connection there, the direct service is announced as starting some time later this summer.

Interlaken-Kleine Scheidegg is NOT part of the route and is not covered for travel with the pass so might not be in Rail Planner. You can get a 25% discount if you show the pass at the ticket office. Even with the discount the fare is high and you need to check the weather at Kleiner Scheidegg before buying/travelling, the inside of one cloud looks pretty much like any other and it's not worth the cost to find out! However, do check properly, preferably with the webcams https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/webcams/ If the weather is dark and wet in Interlaken it is possible that Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfrau will be above the cloud, in which case it is worth going up.

The companies that accept the pass for travel are listed here https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/railway-companies/swiss-railway-companies-included there is a link at the bottom with the list of those that give discounts.

Userpic

Otto
Traveller
4 comments

replied 9 months ago

Many Thanx Mister Steve, this was exactly the answer I needed as a Newbe. Wish you all the best, cheers Otto

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1336 comments

replied 9 months ago

In general: also for other trips: forget that app, use the sites of the national train-companies or national timetables-much more uptodate. But then you have the slight chance-differs enormous per country, to see trains that re out of the pass-scheme

Userpic

Otto
Traveller
4 comments

replied 9 months ago

Many thanx nltrainer, a very important subject for a Newbe like me. Cheers Otto