Userpic

AnnaSteffens
Traveller
13 comments

Posted 9 months ago

Hello everyone,

the contract of my mobile phone only covers 6 GB per month at the moment which is obviously not enough for a 1,5 month journey across the UK, France and Italy. How much data did you use at you trip? I need to get another contract and I thought about a limited 37 GB per month as a EU contract because at the moment I just have one which is supposed to be for Germany, but allows roaming (fair use policy).

Thanks for answering
Anna

Follow this topic
Userpic

argon
Traveller
350 comments

replied 9 months ago

What is your Budget , because most SIMs have EU-Roaming , but not UK Roaming

Userpic

AnnaSteffens
Traveller
13 comments

replied 9 months ago

Around 50 euros. According to my contract, the UK is included even though they are not in the EU anymore.

Userpic

argon
Traveller
350 comments

replied 9 months ago

And what is this contact with 37GB , is it MegaSIM , do you have an landline by the Telekom and are you under 28 years old ?

Userpic

AnnaSteffens
Traveller
13 comments

replied 9 months ago

No, it is an offer of my current contract (sim.de). I am under 28

Userpic

argon
Traveller
350 comments

replied 9 months ago

Generally is the provider after the Brexit not obligatet to accept the "Fair use Policy" or "Roam like at home" , especially such as low-cost provider , i think you mean this contract (picture) , if yes , the terms of use of this contract say that only : " Bei diesem Tarif handelt es sich um einen regulierten EU-Roamingtarif, welchen Sie zu Ihren Inlandskonditionen im EU-Ausland nutzen. Dabei fallen, eine angemessene Nutzung ''Fair-Use-Policy'' vorausgesetzt, keine Aufschläge für die Nutzung von Roamingdiensten (Telefonie, SMS und Datenverbindungen) an " , so not GB , i can recommend these Contract for you : https://www.telekom.de/mobilfunk/tarife/smartphone-tarife-flex-young (if you have a landline from Telekom you get a discount from 5€ and double Mobile Datas , as well as the monthly possibilitie to cancel the contract and EU+GB+CH Roaming . (And of course 5G Max) Good value in my opinion !

Userpic

AnnaSteffens
Traveller
13 comments

replied 9 months ago

Alright thank you for the information and your research! I am already travelling and I am in need of a fast way to get mobile data. And I am currently stuck in my contract as well (until November 2024). Could I buy a new SIM card abroad or isn‘t that necessary? Sorry for asking so much, but I don’t have any clue…

Userpic

argon
Traveller
350 comments

replied 9 months ago

No problem , i also curently travel , gernerally its also possible to buy a SIM in a other country , but mostly the contracts in other countrys are very difficult and tricky to understand etc. , have you any option for a Data-Pass ?

Userpic

AnnaSteffens
Traveller
13 comments

replied 9 months ago

So I don’t know if it’s actually a data pass, but I could buy a “data snack”, so extra 5GB for like 10 Euros. But that’s so overpriced!

Userpic

argon
Traveller
350 comments

replied 9 months ago

Where are you (Country) btw. (If you dont know) most Long-distance trains and some regional-trains in Europe are WiFi-enable , so you can save datas .

Userpic

AnnaSteffens
Traveller
13 comments

replied 9 months ago

I am in Belgium right now. Yessss, normally there is WIFI, but it never worked when I was on a train.
I checked the details of Holafly, they have a good E-SIM offer (unlimited mobile data).

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
912 comments

replied 9 months ago

Just because UK is no longer covered by the EU rule it doesn't mean that network operators have to exclude it from their deals. Even in the UK it's possible to get deals with EU included.

Userpic

AnnaSteffens
Traveller
13 comments

replied 9 months ago

Yes I know that, but I asked my question because I do wann have enough mobile data for my whole trip. My contracted only offers 10 to 37 GB.

Userpic

argon
Traveller
350 comments

replied 9 months ago

I dont say its impossible , its just the decision from the opertor and most low-cost operator decide to dont offer that in there contracts . If the offer is good , and offers these EU and UK roaming , you should take it , but caution , only a very limited nummber of Smartphones are E-SIM enable .

Userpic

AnnaSteffens
Traveller
13 comments

replied 9 months ago

Yeah, I checked my settings for SIM lock and there is no restriction. I contacted the company and it is supposed to work. I will pay 80 euros for 2 months of unlimited data.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1336 comments

replied 9 months ago

I only do free wifi and have used that very satisfactorily last time-2 month IR-but I must ass often the day/eve before in the hotel. In WEST+North EUR you can more or less rely on free wifi in trains/stations, in east not

Userpic

AnnaSteffens
Traveller
13 comments

replied 9 months ago

Alright thank you for sharing your experience, but I do need Wifi in order to know where I actually am.

Userpic

argon
Traveller
350 comments

replied 9 months ago

No , currently i am at one of SJ Intercity and the WiFi fails , every terms of use of free WiFi say that the Operator not gurantee a connection and is not liable for the speed etc.

Userpic

AnnaSteffens
Traveller
13 comments

replied 9 months ago

Yeah, I totally agree with you there!! It is a shame

Userpic

argon
Traveller
350 comments

replied 9 months ago

Not in my opinion , i mean the WiFi in trains simply repeat 3G , 4G or 5G signals , if these are low is this the problem of the provider not from the train-company .