Userpic

Sabine1949
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 9 months ago

I will be taking the intercity night train from Rome to Palermo at the beginning of September 2023 without changing trains. Apparently after September 17th there are no intercity trains from Sicily to Rome, so one has to take a regional train from Palermo to Messina centrale, from there walk to the ferry terminal Messina marittima, then the ferry from Messina to mainland Italy to Villa S. Giovanni, walk from the ferry terminal to the train station and then take a train to Rome. I looked at the footpaths on Google Streetview, but I'm not sure if I can do it with luggage under time pressure. I am almost 74 years old. Does anyone have experience with changing trains in Messina and in Villa S. Giovanni? Are there any taxis there? I am very grateful for constructive answers!

Follow this topic
Userpic

TrainTravellerSommer
Traveller
11 comments

replied 9 months ago

Hello Sabine1949,
I was there for changing the train and I can confirm that it isn't a long way to get there. You can just go ahead in the train station of Messina till the end and then walk ahead by about 2 minutes. It isn't long and I think you don't need a cab. In Villa S. Giovanni it is also just 2 minutes by foot. So I think it would be no problem to change there. If you want to have further information you can look right here, that is a blog in german with changing in Villa S. Giovanni and Messina. There are a few photos. https://raildude.com/blog/view?id=391
So I think it takes about 7 minutes, if you walk slow, from Messina Cenrtale to Messina Maritima, and then at least 4 minutes from Villa S. Giovanni to the station.
Hope I could help you a little bit. Have a nice evening.

Userpic

Sabine1949
Traveller
2 comments

replied 9 months ago

Hello TrainTravellerSommer,
thank you so much for your detailed answer! Now I'm reassured and almost looking forward to the experience of boarding in Messina myself.
I just discovered this forum today, even though I've been traveling by train from Hamburg for years.
Have a nice evening too, greetings from Liguria

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1340 comments

replied 9 months ago

I bet that by that time the trains-through IC will likely be again on offer- in IT they are always, always late wit the final details and you Germans are always way too early and nervous and think that trains re all set so long ahead. Just diffferent customs!

Userpic

Sabine1949
Traveller
2 comments

replied 9 months ago

Thanks, that's what I thought too and that's why I haven't booked the transfer connection yet. but how long should I wait? In Italy, too, the cheap tariffs are quickly booked up. Normally the Intercity are online for the timetable change in mid-June and it irritates me that the trains are only online until 17th Sept.