Userpic

Tilo
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 9 months ago

Hello everyone,
I plan on travelling from Berlin, Germany, to Lourdes, France, with a flexi-pass. According to timetables it should be possible to cover the distance within one day - but what if trains run late and I miss a connecting train? I understand that if I manage to catch an overnight train in Paris which takes me directly to Lourdes it still counts as the previous day, but what if trains run so terribly late that I wouldn't even manage to get on the last train that evening - would that cost me one of my precious travelling days even though it wasn't my fault?

If I agreed to spend two days on the journey, would it be possible for me to spend the first night in Germany or do I have to leave my country of residence within the first day?

Thanks a lot for answering!
Greetings!
Tilo

Follow this topic
Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
590 comments

replied 9 months ago

Rule 5.2 (https://www.interrail.eu/content/dam/pdfs/terms-and-conditions) says “The outbound journey can be used to travel from any location in the country of residence to the border or an airport or port.”. It is not mentioned that it should specifically be on the first day.
The delay problem is covered in article 15. If I undestand it correctly you have in common a right of compensation at delays of more than a hour. For compensation of specific extra expenses you have to go to the train company itself.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
590 comments

replied 9 months ago

But starting in Berlin should be at the same day as crossing the border.

Userpic

Tilo
Traveller
1 comments

replied 9 months ago

Thank you very much!