Userpic

bunga
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 10 months ago

In May I purchased a ticket online for travel late July from Munich to Prague on the https://www.bahn.com/en website. I am pretty sure I purchased the ticket for two adults. The ticket only has my name on it and I do not speak German so I am not sure if it is also for my companion as well. I think the railroad company is ALEX. The ticket does show this in German: Prag Spezial One Way (Einfache Fahrt)
Klasse: 2
Erw: 2

Is this ticket for two people or just me??

In addition, I do not see that we have a reserved seat. Does this mean first come first serve on the train or can I reserve seats together before the trip?

Thanks for help with these two questions from a train novice.

Follow this topic
Userpic

argon
Traveller
353 comments

replied 10 months ago

Yes you have a ticket for two peoples , Erw. is the short version from "Erwachsener" means Adult in English , so you make every thing right. On the Ticket is only the name of the people who buy the Ticket , not the the names of all travellers and ALEX counts as Regional/Commutertrain , not as long-distance so you CANT reserve seats .

Userpic

bunga
Traveller
2 comments

replied 10 months ago

Awesome. Thank you so much for the prompt reply with answers.

And thanks to raildude for creating a place to ask and answer questions.

Userpic

argon
Traveller
353 comments

replied 10 months ago

You're welcome :)

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
919 comments

replied 10 months ago

Pay attention to the destination panels on each car, not all leave Germany, especially not the double deck cars. The Prague section will be mostly blue and white cars provided by Czech state operator České Dráhy, these WILL be crossing the border!

Userpic

bunga
Traveller
2 comments

replied 8 months ago

Follow-up on our ride: started out by getting on the car that did NOT cross the border. Kind passenger alerted us and we dashed to the forward cars. A bit confusing as some seats were reserved and others not. More passengers at subsequent stops started boarding and bumping people out of the reserved seats. I was bumped three times, but lucked out by finding a seat that was reserved, but the ticket holder never showed up. Felt bad for the people who were not quick enough and ended up standing for long periods (2 hours +). Enjoyed the scenery we would have missed by flying. Would I do it again? Yes, but only if I could find a train ticket with reservable seats. As a rookie train rider, the confusion of reserved/non-reserved seats was a bit stressful. Seems like the rail line oversells tickets and just assumes a certain percentage of passengers will be standing in the aisle. Thanks to raildude for helping out with info prior to our trip!

Userpic

argon
Traveller
353 comments

replied 8 months ago

Tickets for Regionaltrains in Germany (dont know if also in CZ so) are unlimited and have a fixed price .

Userpic

argon
Traveller
353 comments

replied 8 months ago

I dont know how they reservated , DB , ĈD not make reservation and the FAQ from ALEX say "Nein , eine Sitzplatz Reservierung ist nicht möglich" which means to make a reservation is not possible .