Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

Posted 12 years ago

Hi,

About a month ago I made my travel route and I noted down the train details and so.
Between Amsterdam and Köln I had a free train connection which was perfect, this one:
Amsterdam Centraal – Köln Hbf:
ICE 105 (2h41) 08:04 – 10:45

Now, when I went to verify all my train connections, I was surprised to notice that this connection no longer exists, and the only options (shown by NS) have a compulsory surcharge.

The question is: is there any chance to travel between these two cities without paying for additional costs and reservation surcharges?

Thanks,
Chico

Follow this topic
Userpic

Hetman
Traveller
364 comments

replied 12 years ago

Sure! There are many ICE trains where reservation is possible but not required.

:arr: [b]Booking of tickets and reservations here[/b]: [u]https://rail.shop/bahn?l=en&s=Amsterdam-Centraal&e=Cologne[/u]

Userpic

Lordmwa
Traveller
117 comments

replied 12 years ago

That trains seems to be running tomorrow morning - what date did you want it?

After that 8:04 it appears to run every 2 hours from 10:34 onwards.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1343 comments

replied 12 years ago

explanation: these are the ICE trains that run onward to FRAnkfurt. Theyr un about ev 2 hrs all day.
BUT in this summer-just like last year-there are works and the trains get diverted via another much slower route. When this was fed into the system it would now show anything-that is likely the reason. Even though you do not NEED a RES-it may be worthwhile, as in summer these trains can be horrendously overcrowded and sometimes people without a RES are barred.
There is a (actually now via same route)hourly connection: any train south to Eindhoven (ev 15 mins) cross platform to Venlo (ev 30 mins( then ev hour german train to Dusseldorf and change again. if you use the right trains, this is just 15-20 mins slower as direct ICE

Assuming the IR is not only for people to only go swiftly between superbig stations: take the local route: train to Maastricht, visit town, take train to Heerlen-change to Aachen and then german train-or via Liege=Belgique and train from there to KOeln. You can even go into those towns and see something that not many others see-all have luggage storage for your oversized bekpek.