Userpic

leoleoleoleo
Traveller
4 comments

Posted 10 months ago

Hi veryone, I am planning an Interrail in norway, It's quite difficult to find the best route when you want to see a lot of natural landscape such as fjords.

The first option is to arrive with plane in bergen and leave from Trondheim,, to be free to see lot of landscapes.
I thought we'd like to see Geiranger or Hellesylt, but public transportations are not allowing it.
We thought about arriving in bergen, spending some hours there and then taking a night train to oslo.
Staying not a lot of days in oslo because we were looking for natural landscapes, and here there is the uknown.

We only now we'd like to see fjords, I do not know which is the best options, since some Norwegians dudes told me that leaving from bergen to fjords is better.

Let me know if you have some trip ideas!

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
920 comments

replied 10 months ago

You won't see much landscape from a night train.

Did the people who recommended fjords from Bergen know you intended to use trains because ships are the normal tourist ride for that. Plus bus routes, which do include Geiranger and Hellesylt. The most famous fjord based railway is the Flåm line but that was taken out of "public transport" and became a tourist attraction - meaning Interrail pass only gets you at 30% discount off the high fare.

Userpic

leoleoleoleo
Traveller
4 comments

replied 10 months ago

yeah, I mean see landscapes not from trains, but walking and doing excursions.

Do you have some advices by any chance on the trip itinerary? thanks :)

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
920 comments

replied 10 months ago

My tip for Norway is to make sure you understand how expensive it is before you spend time on an itinery. Be aware of the huge distances as you go north, some map makers change the scale for the north and it can cause confusion. Oslo-Trondheim is just over 400km but it's another 600km to Narvik and the North Cape is still long way from there. The railway to Narvik is part of the Swedish network in reality with no direct connection to the rest of Norway and there are no trains further north than that so it's not worth thinking of going that far if using Interrail.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
594 comments

replied 10 months ago

There is a bus service to Narvik from Fauske (twice a day, 8:40 and 18:00, duration 5 hours www.reisnordland.no). Till Fauske you can use interrail.
Beware that you have to make reservations. They are only in paper and have to be sent to your home-adress.
If you like walking and fjords and you are in Narvik I recommend a hike to Tredjetoppen (1300 m. cable car to 600 m.) Astonishing view down into the fjords.

Userpic

TrainTracks
Traveller
4 comments

replied 10 months ago

I had my Norway train reservations sent to me by email.

I really enjoyed the railway line from Dombas to Andalsnes and the 10 hour train ride from Trondheim to Bodo.
I caught the Hurtigruten from Bodo to Svolvar and Stokmarknes to Svolvar, which sailed into Trollfjord. If you book the Hurtigruten as a ferry journey, you can sleep in the lounge and save yourself the expense of a cabin.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
920 comments

replied 10 months ago

Hurtigruten is a common way of exploring the fjords BUT it is not a train and Interrail is not valid. And their website tries to sell cruises unless you use the Norwegian version, really annoying!

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1345 comments

replied 10 months ago

As steve says, NO is terribly expensive-just yesterday it came out some 40% higher as next in a local newsppr here about cost of holiday-countries.
For BE-OS-TRo I would reverse: scenery as seen from tog=train is far more impressive for the Bergen line as for the Trondh line. TH has very few plane connections, so either then go to Sverige=1 train daily, or further up north toward Narvik. For scenery the Lofoten islands on the side to there are also often mentioned.
Also be aware that in summer its light all day-nearly 23 hrs in the south and in winter its dark-lights up from 12 till 14 or so.

Userpic

leoleoleoleo
Traveller
4 comments

replied 10 months ago

thanks everyone. a lot of people suggested at this point to do interrail 4 days and 3 days a bus pass for the hardangerfjord.

the other option was to fly from oslo to bodo and then visit lofoten, but there are not hostels or places to sleep with low budget there (we are three guys:)

for the south, instead, it’s difficult for us to find the best way to visit some fjords too, without any car

Userpic

TrainTracks
Traveller
4 comments

replied 10 months ago

Take the train to Andalsnes ( on a fjord ), incredible journey, both scenery and engineering. There is a Youth Hostel there. Then you can take a bus to Ålesund, which will give you further bus options, including a bus to Geirangerfjord. Also fjords accessible from Stavanger and Bergen.

Userpic

leoleoleoleo
Traveller
4 comments

replied 10 months ago

hi TrainTracks, thank you so much, sounds a cool option. do you know places where to sleep in Geirangerfjord_ even like camping that rents tents or smth like that!

Userpic

leoleoleoleo
Traveller
4 comments

replied 10 months ago

and what's your advice to reacjh geirangerjord from alesund?