Userpic

GerdV
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 10 months ago

Are train stations on the Nice - Genoa route accessible for wheelchair users? Is it possible to get to the right platform with a wheelchair? Considering taking a train from Nice (France) to Imperia (Italy)
Kind regards, Gerd Vikene

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
914 comments

replied 10 months ago

This journey requires a change of train at Ventimiglia. The information (very well hidden by the French....) on their websites says that the platforms are accessible but in Italy the lifts may not be available in the early morning or late evening. Imperia station is very new but further from the centre and sea than the old one - make sure you have up to date info.

Userpic

Barrie
Traveller
21 comments

replied 10 months ago

Not only do you take your chances that the lifts are working (if they're there) you may have difficulties negotiating ingress/egress of platform 1 if the lift isn't inside the station. My advice is to ask for assistance from the station when you make the booking. I've seen assistance workers with wheelchair people but I don't know if they're at all stations. I'm afraid wheel chair convenience is a bit hit and miss in Italy in particular. I don't know about France as I've yet to observe their stations from that perspective.

Userpic

GerdV
Traveller
2 comments

replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your answer.

Userpic

Barrie
Traveller
21 comments

replied 10 months ago

Also I should add choose your train carefully. I can't answer for SNCF but Trenitalia's carriage access can be difficult. The latest regional trains seem to have a little extender step at platform height that fills the gap between the platform and the carriage as well as platform height floors. The IC and Frecce trains have narrow doorways (and aisles) and two or three steep steps between platform and carriage. Occasionally I've seen a ramp being used.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1340 comments

replied 10 months ago

For extra help you have to announce your trip and ask for assistence. This varies per country on how to do

Userpic

GerdV
Traveller
2 comments

replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your answer. I understand that there will be a lot of challenges with a wheelchair on the train. We are betting on a rental car this time. Hopefully it will be better adapted for wheelchair users eventually.