Userpic

Gzd
Traveller
3 comments

Posted 10 months ago

I need age groups applied in european railways for a research topic. I would be very grateful if someone could write down the age ranges (baby, child, youth, adult, etc.) and the discount rates applied in ticket sales.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 10 months ago

Hi Gzd.
Which countries are you looking for?
Cheers, Peter :)

Userpic

Gzd
Traveller
3 comments

replied 10 months ago

Hi Peter. I need to learn Germany, France, Italy :)

Userpic

argon
Traveller
356 comments

replied 10 months ago

(Germany) Babys 0-5 (travel for free) , Childs 6-14 ( get 50% discount ) , youth 14-26 (get no discount exept special offers) , Adults 26-64 (no discounts) , Seniors 65+ (same as youth) . Best regards !

Userpic

argon
Traveller
356 comments

replied 10 months ago

(Valid at DB long-distance trains , not in Flixttain , fares for commutertrain may be different)

Userpic

Gzd
Traveller
3 comments

replied 10 months ago

Argon, thank you very much for information:)

Userpic

argon
Traveller
356 comments

replied 10 months ago

DB has currently one of these special offers : If you travelling short distance with highspeedtrains (ICE , IC , EC) prices start from 9,90€ (Adult) and 4,95€ (Childs) instead of 17,90€ and 8,95€ , but only for journeys from 31.07 to 9.12 and only very limeted numbers ticket are available .

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
920 comments

replied 10 months ago

Surely the idea of a research topic is that you do the research??? Each railway will have the answer on their own website and the systems may not match your groups, especially in Germany with the regional/local day tickets based on 5 people of any age.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 10 months ago

Hi.
These should be the discounts for:

FRANCE:
Children, under 4: free. But no right to have an own seat, If the train is full, they have to share a seat with a parent.
Children aged 4 to 11 inclusive (under the age of 12) pay a child fare, unless an adult fare is cheaper (special offers, discounts, etc).

ITALY:
Trenitalia (national Italian railways):
Children, under 4: free. But no right to have an own seat, If the train is full, they have to share a seat with a parent.
High speed trains / long distance trains: Children aged 4 to 14 inclusive (under the age of 15) pay a child fare, unless an adult fare is cheaper (special offers, discounts, etc). Check the website while booking.
Note: on regional trains the age limit is usually "under 12" to get a 50% discount = child fare.

Italo (private train operator):
Children under 3 travel for free.
Children under 14 get a special rate.

Hope this helps a little bit. But usually you see the price, discounts, etc when you book tickets. As you can fill in the passenger details (age).

Peter :)

Userpic

argon
Traveller
356 comments

replied 10 months ago

My informations until yet are only for the part with the ages . I forgot to say that this with the 50% Discount for Childs in Germany is only if they travelling alone , if they travel one a ticket with a Adult they pay nothing . For Group-booking in Germany , DB have a different site from the normal : https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?gruppenreise=1 .

Userpic

Gzd
Traveller
3 comments

replied 10 months ago

Thank you Peter and Argon. You have been very helpful :)