Userpic

AV-Dave
Traveller
7 comments

Posted 10 months ago

Hello there. I am a UK citizen, however I have been a permanent resident in India for the last 20 years. Can I use an interrail pass in the UK like a non-UK European? Thank you!

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
910 comments

replied 10 months ago

The simple answer is no because Interrail is only for european residents. You need a Eurail Pass if you are making a wider European tour or a Britrail Pass if only Britain. You will need proof of Indian residency to use these passes such as official residency certificates, Indian bank card for payment, Indian driving licence etc. Something from the UK Consulate confirming you live in India would be excellent.

And if you are not touring and only need a few journeys in Britain check how much properly planned tickets would cost before buying a pass. And don't overlook that you CAN buy a Railcard to get big discounts if you are in the right age group or travelling with someone else as a pair (on all journeys). Or with family/ friends (who could live in Britain) as long as one child is present on all journeys (doesn't have to be the same one!!).
https://www.britrail.com/
https://www.railcard.co.uk/

Userpic

AV-Dave
Traveller
7 comments

replied 10 months ago

Thank you for the very quick response MisterSteve. In that case, I guess that my best bet is to just use my UK passport to get an Interrail pass (I have a permanent address in the UK). I understand that I will be eligible for one inbound journey from continental Europe and then after that I will travel in the UK like anyone else.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
910 comments

replied 10 months ago

If you use a UK address with an Interrail Global Pass you have one direct journey in each direction to/from the border, which can be any border point (so you can fly or use a ferry from continent, but few ferries take pedestrian passengers). If you use Eurostar you need a passholder reservation, which is more than just a basic reservation fee, only available in limited numbers and not so easy to get.

Userpic

AV-Dave
Traveller
7 comments

replied 10 months ago

Okay, thanks very much for the advance warning on the Eurostar. I will try and go ahead with both the interrail ticket, as well as the reservation as soon as possible. Thanks again

Userpic

AV-Dave
Traveller
7 comments

replied 10 months ago

Okay great, I got my Interrail pass. Now I am trying to make a seat reservation on a Thalys and it doesn't the Interrail card as an option. Does that mean that I can't take that train?

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
910 comments

replied 10 months ago

Thalys are the same as Eurostar (really, they are even about to adopt the name!). Interrail needs a pass holder fare ticket as explained at https://www.thalys.com/fr/en/deals-fares/eurail-and-interrail-passes-with-thalys

Userpic

AV-Dave
Traveller
7 comments

replied 10 months ago

Hi, yes that's helpful as far as getting to London but before that I will be traveling from Montpelier to Brussels and I can't see how to make a reservation without buying a ticket. On the other hand the website says " Only available at the international counters of an NS, SNCF or SNCB station, by telephone at +33 8 25 84 25 97." What a pain. I am seriously thinking to cancel the Interrail pass and take the bus instead as so few reservations seem to be available for July domestic travel in France, even now, never mind trying to get to London. Also, are there still rail strikes in effect in the UK? If I cancel the pass, I should do it soon to make sure to get the full refund... Oh dear.

Userpic

AV-Dave
Traveller
7 comments

replied 10 months ago

Hello MisterSteve! It's alright, I think that I cracked it! Was redirected to another site https://www.b-europe.com/EN and managed to get a pass far ticket for the Eurostar! :-) The I got motivated and managed to get another from Paris to Brussels... slowly it's coming together... Thank you for your help.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
910 comments

replied 10 months ago

b-europe is run by belgian state railways SNCB and they can be very useful, offereing things that others can't be bothered to do. Their staff at the international desk at Brussels Midi/Zuid station are also very helpful.

Userpic

AV-Dave
Traveller
7 comments

replied 10 months ago

Yes indeed. Actually in the past I have booked my tickets with https://www.ns.nl/en/ , I had forgotten about them. Tickets originating from the Netherlands tend to be substantially cheaper... Thanks again for all of the help MisterSteve. Have a top weekend.

Userpic

AV-Dave
Traveller
7 comments

replied 10 months ago

Hello MisterSteve, sorry to bother you again... So now I have a Eurostar arriving in St Pancras at 09:57am on the 16th of July. What is the next step? I would like to get to Sheffield on the same day, can I just go to Kings Cross and get on the next train to the north and use the Interrail ticket until the end of the day? Thanks!