Userpic

mkchris
Traveller
20 comments

Posted 12 years ago

Hi,

Just bought my pass online and notice that you have to have your pass validated.

I'm leaving the UK on 5 Aug but my pass won't start until the following day, by which time I will be in Belgium.

Assume it's OK to validate my pass back here in the UK a couple of days before it starts?

Cheers,
Chris.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Chris.
Where did you bought your rail pass? I hope here at railcc to support our work. :)
You don't have to validate an Interrail pass. The starting date is printed on the pass. If you have a 5days in 10 or 10 days in 22 Interrail Global Pass, simply fill in your travel days manually, when ever you need them.
In the attached sheet you fill in your travel routes.
:arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-rules[/u]
Peter :)

Userpic

mkchris
Traveller
20 comments

replied 12 years ago

Thanks.

Seems a bit daft to 'validate' a ticket when the dates are stamped on it, just seem to remember reading about it somewhere....

Yes I bought the ticket from the railcc shop. I've gone for the one month continuous - just need to work out where I am going to be going now!

Question for you - as it's August I know it's going to be busy but I don't want to pre-book everything as it ties me to an itenerary which I may change. How many days in advance should I be looking to have my hostels and night trains booked?

Keep up the good work!!!

Chris.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Chris.
Thank you for supporting us. :)

There is no general answer about the prebook time. It always depends on the country, the city, etc.
Have a look on [ux]https://rail.shop/hostelworld[/ux] and play a little bit with the dates. You will see if it is already full or not. Travelling alone is always an advantage as you will find more easily a place to sleep.

Concerning night trains: not all night trains are possible to book in advance. If you know already the exact travel date - for example for your return journey - book it in advance.

Do you have already a route in your mind?

Userpic

mkchris
Traveller
20 comments

replied 12 years ago

I keep going over the route again and again - and each time I change it. Thing is I know that's not how it's going to end up as I'll change my plans - you can call that the beauty of Interrail.

So far all I know is that I arrive at Bruges (using my Belgium any station ticket for day 1 before my interrail ticket starts on day 2) and then move on either to Paris, Amsterdam or down via Luxembourg and the Rhine Valley.

Planning to do 4 days each in France, Germany, Italy. A couple of days in Austria, Switzerland, Holland, Czech Rep, Hungary. Will then fill the rest up (if I can fit in in) with Denmark, Slovenia/Croatia and Northern Spain - or alternatively pad the other countries already mentioned out with a few extra days. Guess I will have to see how much I like being on the train!

I'm quite happy to do a short stops (1 or 2 days) and then move on. That way you travel more often, but for a shorter distance each time.

Plan with hostels and overnight trains is to book them 24 hours in advance using internet cafes etc. Hopefully this should be OK.

Will post more detailed itinerary in a few days....

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 12 years ago

Sounds good the beauty of Interrail. :)

I definitely recommend Eastern Europe.
Then let's see what your plans will be in some days. Don't hesitate to ask if you need some specific train routes information.