Userpic

Irishrover
Traveller
4 comments

Posted 10 months ago

Hi
Is it possible to buy the Interrail monthly ticket and to make as many trips within the month. Or are the tickets restricted to a certain number of transactions?
Thanks

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
909 comments

replied 10 months ago

With Interrail/Eurail there is no restriction on the number of trains you can use. But in some countries the better trains need reservations which can cost more than expected. In some countries not all trains are covered.

With an Interrail global pass there is only very limited use in the country where you are resident (one journey to the border and one back - both days are part of the overall pass, not extras). This does not apply to Eurail but you can't be resident in Europe to buy that.

Userpic

Irishrover
Traveller
4 comments

replied 10 months ago

Thanks . I am thinking that maybe the Summer months have already been booked by the smart guys and that just turning up at a station on spec doesn't really work.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
909 comments

replied 10 months ago

For the long distance ast trains:

In Spain you have to be so smart to book in advance there may be a chance of turning up on the day and getting a reservation at the ticket office. But even on quiet days you can't really reserve before you are get there if you have a pass.

France is dubious, August will be crammed and they operate a quota system for reservations for pass holders so every chance of not being lucky.

Italy also gets very busy in August but their reservation system at least gives you a chance. Many of the no-reservation regional services don't accept the pass, nor does the private high speed operator Italo

Germany does not have compulsory reservations but overcrowding is possible, especially Fridays and Sunday afternoon/evening. All of their regionals DO accept the pass but the long distance privateer Flixtrain does not.

Compulsory reservations are common across Scandinavia. Apart from Spain, Britain, some of the French quotas and the further flung eastern countries reservations are usually possible through the Interrail App.

Userpic

Irishrover
Traveller
4 comments

replied 10 months ago

Jaysus. If I was 40 years younger I could embrace this as indeed I once did. Maybe it's now a case of no country for old men. Or perhaps October would be a safer bet. I forgot about France in August!

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
909 comments

replied 10 months ago

I find September best, family holidays are over and weather is often better than summer in UK and Ireland!!! But still avoid Spain and plan carefully for France.

Userpic

Irishrover
Traveller
4 comments

replied 10 months ago

I thank you all. I am a resident of Japan!

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1335 comments

replied 10 months ago

Kon-nichi-wa! IF you can prove that then you can use EUrail, even with an IE=-passpt. This means that you can also travel unlimuited in that green island west of that Brexit-fort.
BTW: some 90-95% of all trains running here in EUR are even without chance to make RES-as in fact are also most trains in IE by CIE/IR. Its just that it seems that all passholders only want to use those trains which are hardest to get. I ended a 2-MO IR some weeks ago (bought last yr at half price in the big sale) and only had to spend some 120€ extra for RES on top-incl 2 in a couchette (of course these will cost the most). But I know the system and plan accordingly.

Userpic

Irishrover
Traveller
4 comments

replied 10 months ago

Of course I can prove it I have a Japanese residents card. Thanks.

Userpic

TrainTracks
Traveller
4 comments

replied 10 months ago

I am 69 and in 8 weeks, have travelled on 135 trains. Avoid the routes the hoards take and you will avoid the crowds and reservation costs.
Including £30-00 for one Eurostar reservation, I have spent less than £70 on reservations.
Currently in Norway, 10 hours, Trodheim to Bodo, has to be my best rail journey.