Userpic

pedroalexandrade
Traveller
10 comments

Posted 12 years ago

Another question about Norway: during my time in this country I'll be constantly hopping on and off trains that require reservations. In the big cities there may be no problem, but when I get on a train in very small locations (some of them don't even look like they have a ticket booth by the photos I see), will it be a problem if I don't have a reservation?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi.
I don't have information about booking terminals in smaller stations - or if there are ticket windows in each one.
You can use the all day trains WITHOUT a reservation:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-train-reservation/norway/no[/u]

The same for night trains - a reservation is not required:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-night-train/norway/no[/u]

But the problem is: all normal train tickets are sold INCLUDING a reservation. So especially in the summer months trains might be full. As you have the travellers with normal tickets (including reservations) and the rail pass travellers who bought reservations.
The best is always to ask the conductor in the train, where free places left. They are very relaxed and friendly in Norway. :)
I think it won't happen very often, but be prepared to it and keep it in mind.

Peter :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Yup, as Peter said, always ask the conductor for free seats! :)

And if a train is full it is in my experience unlikely that you will be left without at a small station if you do not have a reservation. You could also go to the buffet car and enjoy the scenery with a cool beer or so... ;)

Userpic

pedroalexandrade
Traveller
10 comments

replied 12 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys! :D

Userpic

Karoline
Traveller
25 comments

replied 12 years ago

Yeah, you might have to stand out by the doors or something, or sit on the floor, but they'll never throw you off the train in Norway ;)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Great to have confirmation from someone from Norway! Thanks. :)