Userpic

gizilgen
Traveller
15 comments

Posted 12 years ago

Hello everyone,

We don't want to use THALYS train, because it is expensive (I think it is 37 euro min.); we intend to use the long-time trains with connections. There is a connection list in the forum such as Amsterdam - Antwerpen - Lille - Amiens but I could not find it on db.de so the question is that: Is there a way to go to Paris from Amsterdam by not using THALYS. It is so much better if the train goes at night. Doesn't matter how many connections there are.

Follow this topic
Userpic

gizilgen
Traveller
15 comments

replied 12 years ago

Well, I found an answer myself via B-Rail. :)

Amsterdam Centraal 21:08
Maastricht 23:34

Maastricht 00:09
Liège-Guillemins 00:39

Liège-Guillemins 04:43
Gent St Pieters 06:36

Gent St Pieters 06:57
Lille Flandres 07:58

Lille Flandres 08:05
Amiens 09:36

Amiens 11:05
Paris Nord 12:20

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

What you could also do is to leave Amsterdam a little earlier to get to Liège around 2300, then go with the last train to Oostende - arrival around two. First train back at around 4am...or the other way, from Liège with the last train to Welkenraedt, arrival around two, first train back at around 4am (this is the one at 0443 in Liège).

Userpic

gizilgen
Traveller
15 comments

replied 12 years ago

Nice idea. I'll talk to the others, let's see if they'd want to leave Amsterdam earlier.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hej, another option would be to use the night network trains within the Netherlands.Those run hourly throughout the night on the route (Eindhoven -) Utrecht - Amsterdam - Den Haag - Rotterdam (- Eindhoven). To/from Eindhoven on Fri - Sun only. They are quite convenient as you usually can stay in the train at the terminus as it goes straight back the same way.

However, this would result in a later arrival in Paris, since the first free train Rotterdam - Antwerpen (and on towards Paris) runs only at 7am. Also, those trains are quite full, at least when I used them as a hostel substitute there were lots of people (us where the only ones sleeping the whole night).

I can not provide exact timings now as I have loads of other things to do, but if you want I can help you out with more details on Sunday evening.

Flo 8)

Userpic

gizilgen
Traveller
15 comments

replied 12 years ago

I don't quite understand what you mean. Oh I see, you say that first go to Rotterdam, and then to Antwerpen from Rotterdam, right? Well I think this option doesn't suit to us, if I did not get you incorrectly. Because we're not leaving Amsterdam at weekend.

But we'll consider the other option you mentioned. Thanks again.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

No I guess you misunderstood me... ;)

There is a night service every night every hour running Utrecht - Amsterdam - Den Haag - Rotterdam. When the train arrives in Rotterdam it immediately runs the same route back to Utrecht - you can stay in the same train, at least this was the case in 2006 (I know it's been a while but the trains are still running as back then).

Only at the weekends this service is extended to/from Eindhoven.

Anway, you could go like this:

Amsterdam 0045 - 0159 Rotterdam 0202 - 0352 Utrecht 0407 - 0604 Rotterdam

This is all in the same train. Then change in Rotterdam to a train to Antwerpen.

Rotterdam 0655 - 0800 Antwerpen
Antwerpen 0805 - 0954 Lille
Lille 1037 - 1201 Amiens
Amiens 1213 - 1320 Paris

Userpic

gizilgen
Traveller
15 comments

replied 12 years ago

Now I see what you mean. Better to keep going on the line than sleeping at the train station. Nice trick, thank you. :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Yup, this is quite nice. I hope it is still the same situation - that it one train that shuttles between Amsterdam and Rotterdam.
But be aware that this is just a regular train, no special sleeping accomodation. ;) What you could do though (this is what we did back then) is to put your backpacks between the seats, so you'll have a kind of a bed.

Userpic

gizilgen
Traveller
15 comments

replied 12 years ago

Sure we don't expect much comfort and we don't have enough money to travel in compartments or sleeping cars even if there are any. So the regular seats are just fine for us. But you gave another nice trick, I'll definitely use it. :)

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1343 comments

replied 12 years ago

some more to above;
1.Liege Guillms station is closed nighttime-between ;last and 1st trains
2.in NL these nighttrains are very, very often cancelled or rerouted-due to works on the lines, which due to metro-intensive daytime service is only feasible at night. That means a reroute or change to bus for train on some part. It is posted on the NS site, but very confusing if you do not know the system-and no chance to sleep hence.
3.if booked advance and with some luck Thalys is just 35 eur for a normal single ticket-smilys-saves you a passday too.
4.even cheaper-again if booked in advance- is eurolines.com-choose country-from around 20 eur/single. This is the only nighttime direct option. again: saves a passday. THis bus is always full-at busy weekends there may be up to 4/5 buses.