Userpic

Pete2011
Traveller
3 comments

Posted 12 years ago

Hi there,

I was hoping to book a couchette on this overnight train to Berlin on Tuesday July 19th but looks as if it's booked out as per the DB Bahn booking website. Are cancellations on such trips regular and if so will these type of fares come back on sale :?:

The alternative may be to take the 5pm train and arrive in Berlin at midnight - is it advisable arriving in a city so late even if we've pre-booked accommodation? I've also had a look at the NS Hispeed website and they seem to offer more frequent departures to Berlin than DB Bahn, any idea why this is? Also just curious as to why the night rain takes 3 hours longer when it has no transfers, does it take a different route perhaps?

Sorry for all the questions....this full booking has upset my plans big time!! :'(

Many many thanks in advance and congrats on a wonderfully informative website,
Pete

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Pete.

Have a look at this link - some example journeys:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/train/amsterdam-to-berlin[/u]

More connections:
Some trains start in Amsterdam Centraal, some in Amsterdam Zuid. Depends which departure station (or both) you selected.

Longer travel time of the night train:
The night train is to spent the night and to sleep. If a night train makes the journey in 5 hours, it isn't worth to using it. Therefore night trains a slower to have a longer sleep. :)

Booking:
The train seems to be full. Only some seats left. Don't calculate on returned tickets.

Peter :)

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1346 comments

replied 12 years ago

NS will show all the same links as DB-maybe you click on some button, like ''no change''. Basically there are 2 routes ex AMS: direct-ev 2 hrs. by EuroCity and also via change in Duisburg-with ICE=superfast trains. the direct train does NOT leave from Central anymore-but from Schiphol and stops at Zuid and Duivendrecht and most people use the domestic train to HILVERSUM and change cross platform-this will all be announced and you are not the only one-just follow crowd.
this NIGHTtrain also makes a big detour along the Ruhr and stands/shunts in Hannover for 1 hour-as it has portions for other cities and exchanges these with another nighttrain there. it is in fact meant for furhter on; Dresden-Praha, where you get down at more normal times. around 19/7 many local holidays here start-so that means an early fillup.

Userpic

Pete2011
Traveller
3 comments

replied 12 years ago

Thanks a million guys - very useful comments. I think we may take an earlier train and reach Berlin Tuesday night as opposed to Wednesday morning.

Userpic

Pete2011
Traveller
3 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi guys,

Actually revised our plans and doing this in the reverse route now. I've booked my own ticket with my Mastercard as per the instructions here [u]https://rail.cc/en/night-train/germany/de[/u]
but when I go to book my girlfriend's ticket I notice that the conditions of sale state that she must be the personal holder of the identity document stated below (bahn.bonus Card, BahnCard, credit card, ec card (Maestro) or personal identity card) and I have taken note of the fact that I must carry this document with me on the booked journey, together with the printed online ticket.

She has none of the above so does this render her ticket void if I book her ticket with my credit card when she is not the personal holder of it? If so is there any way around this? It's a very popular route and I'm anxious to book online in advance.

Thanks in advance people.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

You already have your reservation for this train?

Then I would call DB anyway:
- to sort out the problem with the credit card
- to make sure that both your reservations will be in the same cabin.

:arr: +43 180 5 99 66 33

Flo 8)

Userpic

Pete2011
Traveller
3 comments

replied 12 years ago

Thanks Flo,
Yes I've booked my own ticket. I will get in touch with them.

Userpic

Lordmwa
Traveller
117 comments

replied 12 years ago

In future book 2 passengers in one go and it just uses one person +1