Userpic

leecurtis89
Traveller
10 comments

Posted 12 years ago

Hi,

We are planning a 5 trip in 10 days. The destinations are as described above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We plan to get the night train from zagreb to venice (setting off on 5th, arriving on the 6th), spend a day and stay the night in venice.

Get the 6.20am train to Bern (7th July), this goes via milan and arrives at 14.30. Spend the rest of the day in Bern (7th) stay over and get the train to Nice at 15.00 (8th). (This train requires 4 changes, Is there any more direct route?)

Arrive at Nice at midnight (8th), We plan on staying untill the 10th to get some rest.

On the 10th travell to Montpellier (13.20-17.40) and stay over for the night.

On the 11th get the train to Benicassim (07.27-14.20)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The aim of this trip is to get some sight seeing done, but primarily get from croatia to the benicassim festival on the 11th setting off on the 4th.

We are trying to avoid going through barcelona to benicassim as the trains will be heavily packed or fully booked due to festival-goers.

Are main points of interest are Venice, Bern and Nice. Montpellier is simply a connection to break up the long train ride from Bern to Benicassim.

Any advice, tips or pointers would be much appreciated as we plan to book our ticket on friday (10th)

*Also as we would be doing this journey in 7days, would it be a good idea to get the ticket to run from the monday 4th to give us some room for error etc even though we dont start travelling untill the 5th?

Hope you can help

Many thanks

Lee

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Lee!

First, yes, if your arrival in Benicassim is fixed on the 11th, buy your ticket with starting date at least 4th July...you might even buy it from 3rd as it would then be valid until 12th what should leave you with enough room at the end.

Zagreb - Venezia :arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/night-train/hungary/hu[/u]

Venezia - Bern: This is a connection with two reservations, each 10€!

There are several alternatives which only require a reservation for Venezia - Milano (10€), the onward travel to Bern is then free, although longer.
Eg Venezia 0858 - 1754 Bern or Venezia 0658 - 1558 Bern with change of stations in Milano (Centrale > Porta Garibaldi; ~2km on foot)

Bern - Nice is complicated. You will need to get at least one TGV reservation (6€) if travelling via Lyon - Marseille.

Have you thought about rearranging the trip?

leaving on 5th to Zürich with night train :arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/zagreb-zurich-night-train/f1911[/u] (you would need a ~5€ ticket to Dobova to make use of the 1900rule for night trains then...) and continue to Bern, arriving in Bern at ~ 1030 on the 6th
7th leaving in the morning at 0807 to Brig, change there to EC to Venezia (10€), arriving at 1440
8th leaving at 1150, going to Nice via Milano and Ventimiglia, arriving at 2005 (10€ for train to Milano, 3€ recommended reservation for train on to Ventimiglia)
9th in Nice
10th travel towards Montpellier/Perpignan/Barcelona... You might even fit it the Petit Train Jaune :arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/villefranche-de-conflent-to-latour-de-carol[/u]

Just some thoughts, I'm sure you will have a nice trip! ;) We can discuss best route a little more later if you want...

Flo 8)

Userpic

Devindavies
Traveller
4 comments

replied 12 years ago

Alright Lee, And Hello Flow.

I am also traveling with lee and another friend, and we like your proposed route Flow. we are looking at booking tonight. just as a matter of interest. if you were to travel from Zagreb - Benicassim, where would you go, or which route would you take. we are just trying to get a few different options so that we can sit down tonight and make our decission.

we appretiate your help. and always look forward to your reply.

many thanks

Dev

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Dev,

I'll have to go right no but will return in about an hour. Please be patient. :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

Devindavies
Traveller
4 comments

replied 12 years ago

thanks flow
your a great help

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

OK then... ;)

The thing is, if you want to avoid trains with compulsory reservation, it is quite tricky to combine Bern/Venice/Nice in a smart way.
That's why I suggested starting with Zagreb - Bern as you would then have a direct train from Switzerland to Venezia and would not have to change in Milano (meaning another 10€ for a fast train). But I dont know if the stay in Bern is long enough for you then.

Bern - Nice as in the first route is really awkward, another reason I suggested the second route - as it is easier to go Venezia - Nice. Although you will have to pay 10€ + 3€ reservation then, compared with 6€+6€ on the Bern - Marseille - Nice route. Another alternative would be Zagreb - Venezia - Bern and then to Nice via Milano, this would again mean 10€+3€ reservation costs.

I think the main problem will be if you get a reservation for the TGV in France or not on the Bern - Geneve - Marseille - Nice section; there is only a certain number of places available for InterRailers on each TGV... :|
If you get this reservation, you can choose route 1 and I'd recommend this connection to get to Nice from Bern:

Bern 1334 - 1515 Genève
Genève 1528 - 1721 Lyon
Lyon 1803 - 2227 Nice :arr: this is by TGV

If you dont get the TGV reservation you can alternatively go Bern - Milano - Nice or choose route 2.

What I would personally recommend (only if time permits) is to take the Berninabahn between Venezia and Bern which is a stunning mountain railway...with the downside of sitting the whole day in a train. But maybe you can start one day earlier from Zagreb then it should be fine. :)
:arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/st-moritz-to-tirano[/u]
:arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/tirano-to-st-moritz[/u]
This route doesnt require a reservation (only for Venezia - Milano for what you need a reservation anyway).

Then, the final part Nice - Benicassim. On either route (1 or 2), you have used 3 travel days so far. Leaves you with 2 days for the final part. Stopping in Montpellier sure works out, but as I've said yesterday I'd recommend a trip with the Petit Train Jaune (especially if you do not travel with Berninabahn), it's really nice and different to the standard railway journey. ;)
It should work like this: Leave in the morning from Nice and travel until Perpignan. Then either stay in Perpignan for the night and go with Petit Train Jaune the next morning or continue with Petit Train Jaune and stay in Latour de Carol for the night! Attention staying in Latour means wild camping or sleeping somewhere... ;)

Do you want to book the tickets only today? Or also try to make some reservations as well? You can do the last part from Nice completely without reservations if you stay somewhere in between overnight. As well the Berninabahn doesnt require a reservation so you can buy InterRail ticket today and wait a little until you have decided your final route.

Flo 8)

Userpic

leecurtis89
Traveller
10 comments

replied 12 years ago

Thank you

Userpic

leecurtis89
Traveller
10 comments

replied 12 years ago

Flo,

Your advice is 2nd to none, really pleased with it as it's giving us a few things to think about that we wouldn't normally of thought/known about.

I believe we are only looking to book the actual 5trips in 10days ticket tonight, so we have a week or so to decide on the route and get a few train reservations made!

I was wondering If you would maybe know of anyway of encourperating The pampalona bull run? For instance maybe drop out one of the stops to enable a visit to some of the bull run as I believe it is running from the 7th-14th, just before the benicassim festival. This is just an idea but I tried the route and couldnt fit it in, maybe you would be able to help?

it's just an idea and as dev said, it would be nice to gather a few different routes Over the next couple of days!

One last thing, where is best to buy the ticket? On here or on the interrail website?

Thanks again
Lee

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Lee,

well we would be pleased if you'd buy your tickets here at [ux]https://rail.shop/interrail[/ux] - price is the same as everywhere else, standard shipping within seven working days is free of charge. :) Thank you!

Well, without thinking too much, the obvious route if you would want to include Pamplona probably is Zagreb - Venezia - Bern and then with Genève - Irun night train and on to Pamplona. I'll have to check schedules (especially the night train is not 100% fixed this year) but this should work out. :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

leecurtis89
Traveller
10 comments

replied 12 years ago

Flow,

We shall be booking our tickets tonihgt through railcc, as you have been a great help so far. I did have a look at buying a ticket the other night and wanted to know if the protection plan for £30 is compulasry? i couldnt remove it.

Also im still trying my hardest to fit the bull run in. We are really set on going but dont want to ruin the trip by focusing on it too much. The yeloow train ride you showed us looks great and would be nice to fit in but i dont think that will be on the way from bern to pampalona.

Is there a different direct route to pampalona from the eastern side of europe i.e venice?

Again any help would be much appreciated!

Lee

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Lee.
Just a short notice concerning the Rail Safeguard Plan: no need to add it to your ticket! :)
You have to remove it at the first step of the ordering process where you select the starting date of your ticket and fill in your age.
At the bottom you will find a box. Remove it there.
Peter :)

Userpic

leecurtis89
Traveller
10 comments

replied 12 years ago

just another quick question, do you have to put down when you want the ticket to start from? or does it just start from your first trip?

thank you

Userpic

Hetman
Traveller
364 comments

replied 12 years ago

when you use 5/10days ticket you have to decide before of buying a ticket when you want to start (so this 10 days period).
these 5 days when you travel you put by yourself on the ticket during a travel

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Lee!

OK...Pamplona then... ;)

Like I said, best option is to go with Genève - Irun night train after Bern and then on to Pamplona. Timings should be like this:

Genève 2041 - 1115 Irun :arr: Lunéa, 6€ reservation reclining seat; 17,50€ 6bed couchette
Irun 1600 - 1757 Pamplona :arr: Alvia, 6,50€ reservation

If you want, go to San Sebastian from Irun with Cercanias regional trains, stay some hours at the beach (no lockers at the station, so you will have to get your luggage with you) and then take the Alvia from San Sebastian at 1618

From Pamplona to Benicassim you will have to go via Barcelona:

Pamplona 0933 - 1340 Barcelona :arr: Alvia, 6,50€ reservation
Barcelona 1500 - 1719 Benicassim :arr: Talgo, 6,50€ reservation

:| There is no other good connection...

Flo 8)

Userpic

leecurtis89
Traveller
10 comments

replied 12 years ago

Flow,

so this is what roughly i have come up with,

Zagreb-Venezia on the 5th @ 23.50-7.15

then on the 7th Venezia-Bern @8.58-15.54

get another night train on 8th from Bern-Irun @ 18.34-7.00

Irun-Pamplona on the 9th @ 07.30-09.31

Pamplona-Benicassim on the 11th @ 09.33-17.22

Now we have 2 differnt route, the first one taking in some of south of france with hopefully a trip on the yellow trian,

Or the more long winded trip taking into the pamplona bull run.

I think the trip with the bull run might be trying to do too much in a small space, as after a week and a half at benicassim festival were doing another 5days in 10days trip around the north of europe.

Any advice on which one to choose would be nice :D

Tried to book the ticket again today but got this error message- Error 217. PNR Not found: AA4G49

Lee

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Well...in the end it is up to you. ;)

Personally Pamplona is not that interesting...or lets put it an other way: It is not worth the detour and stress..

Umm, btw where did you found the Bern - Irun connection with arr Irun at 0700?! :?:

Flo 8)

Userpic

Devindavies
Traveller
4 comments

replied 12 years ago

i think we have decided to skip the bull run flo.

we have tried several times to book our tickets via railcc, unfortunatly everytime we have tried we got an error.
so unfortunatly we have had to boook via the inter rail website. if you want any information that may help you guys in regards to our tickets i am more then willing to hand over information. you have been a great help.

we are still deciding our route and im pretty sure it will be decided very soon as we start our travels in a couple weeks.

thanks again flo, you have been great
Devin

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hej Devin,

pretty sad...but it seems there have been problems with the shop when ordering from the UK Peter told me. :|

Have a nice trip,

Flo 8)

Userpic

leecurtis89
Traveller
10 comments

replied 12 years ago

I think i made an error :| However were planning on taking the 1st route as it allows more sight seeing and a less stressfull trip.

We need to book some reservations. From Venice to bern (x2) Zagreb to venice (night train reservation, is the price of a sleeping cart per person or 40euro for the cart?) and from Montpellier to benicassim needs reservation.

How do we go about reserving them and can we wait untill nearer the time or shall we do it now?

Sorry and one more thing, how do we get on that yellow train, it looks awesome and if we can intergrate it into our route that would be brilliant!

Lee

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Lee!

Venice to Bern is 10€ per reservation (with a direct train)
Zagreb to Venice :arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/night-train/hungary/hu[/u] Prices for reservations are always per person (unless stated otherwise)

If you know your exact travel dates, you can try to get the reservations know :arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/search-train-routeReservations__for_Passholders[/u]
Otherwise you will have to do it at a station when you arrive in mainland Europe.

Montpellier - Benicassim by direct Talgo should be ~7€ when made not in Spain (and France as well I think) - then it is 18€! :o But if you want to include then Yellow Train, no need to take that Talgo.

For the Yellow Train, have a look here:

Nice - Marseille - Montepellier to Perpignan :arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/nice-to-barcelona[/u]
Perpignan to Villefranche for the Petit Train Jaune :arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/perpignan-to-villefranche-de-conflent[/u]
Villefranche - Latour; Petit Train Jaune :arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/villefranche-de-conflent-to-latour-de-carol[/u]
Latour - Barcelona :arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/latour-de-carol-to-barcelona[/u]

Barcelona - Benicassim either by direct fast Euromed/Alaris/Talgo/Arco (6,50€ reservation); if you want to go with regional trains you will have to stay overnight in Barcelona or go to Vinaros, some kilometres before Benicassim... :|

Flo 8)