Userpic

IntraVol
Traveller
5 comments

Posted 12 years ago

I understand the Interail/Eurail passes are not valid for trains between Poland and Czech Republic.

I intend on taking EC 110 from Warszawa Centralna to Praha hl.n. on 21 July which departs at 09:30 and arrives at 17:48 which is a straight through connection. Would you recommend that I purchase the tickets in advance or should I wait until I am in Warsaw?

I would most probably buy it a few days out from the journey.

Your advice is appreciated.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Hetman
Traveller
364 comments

replied 12 years ago

No, The passes [b]are [/b]valid in Poland and Czech Republic.

Always is better buy the tickets in advance and in this case also.
However, sometimes I have problems to buy some tickets in advance even when I am in Poland, at station so look for other possibility to buy this ticket now. I always used DieBahn info line to buy tickets but I am not sure if they send you the ticket to Australia. If you don´t start the journey in Poland or Czech Rep and you will be before in Germany you would print the tickets on some station(but you have to book it before).
Look also for this reservation on this web site(I have not used yet but people say it´s OK).

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

[quote]I understand the Interail/Eurail passes are not valid for trains between Poland and Czech Republic.
[/quote]

Where did you get this info from?! It is false. :!:

Is this trip part of a longer trip or do you only want to go Warszawa - Praha by train?

Flo 8)

Userpic

IntraVol
Traveller
5 comments

replied 12 years ago

Thank you for the replies guys.

I was under the impression that the Eurail pass was not valid in Poland, obviously I am wrong.

The journey is part of a larger trip over the course of 2 months. I'll be using the 10 in 2 month Global Eurail pass. If I use the Pass am I required to reserve a seat on the day train or can I arrive at the station and hop on the train?

In terms of ticketing from Australia, I have recieved a quote from PKP and I can purchase the ticket in advance for PLN160,00 with UPS shipping the Australia. Would this be the safer option than leaving it to the last minute in Warsaw because I need to keep to a schedule and this seems to be the only train which will work?

Userpic

Hetman
Traveller
364 comments

replied 12 years ago

you can hop on the train [b]always when reservation is not required[/b]. in other cases you need to have reservation.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi,

which ticket would be 160 PLN? Quite expensive I think... And you have your EuRail pass anyway. So if that is the price for the reservation only, dont do it - much too expensive.
Anyway, for international travel on EC train in Poland you dont need a reservation. I'd say got to Warszawa with only your EuRail pass. Then, if you want to, make a reservation for the train to Praha there.

:arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/warsaw-to-prague[/u]

And dont forget: If you want to support our work here at railcc please buy your EuRail pass via our partner at [ux]https://rail.shop/eurail[/ux] - thank you. :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

Hetman
Traveller
364 comments

replied 12 years ago

[quote]The passes [b]are [/b]valid in Poland and Czech Republic[/quote]

one (my) mistake:
-InterRail Global Pass is valid in Poland
-EurRail Global Pass [b]is not [/b]valid in Poland, only Germany-Poland Pass is valid

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Oh, your are right! :os

In that case I'd say get a regular ticket Warszawa - Zebrzydowice (border) which is ~15€, from there continue with your EuRail pass. :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

Hetman
Traveller
364 comments

replied 12 years ago

if you want to go Praha by day train and you will be at least 3 days before the travel in Poland you can try to buy special cheaper SparDay ticket on this train which costs 19 or 29 euro but its availability in limited and you can buy it only at station.
or may be you have some one in Warszawa who could buy this ticket?

instead 15euro for normal ticket to the border you pay a little bit more and save one day :)

Userpic

IntraVol
Traveller
5 comments

replied 12 years ago

Thank you for the clarification Hetman. I thought I was correct in saying that the Eurail pass was not valid in Poland.

@Flow ... Cheer up! Your tips are always helpfull and are appreciated! :) I was aware of this option with connection in Zebrzydowice but I've done the math with my Eurail pass and I'll need it two months later to go Brussels > Amsterdam > Munich (Oktoberfest) > Paris.

The Warsaw > Praha leg was always my weird one. As I only have 3 nights there I wanted to organise it previously and not worry about it. I purchased the ticket last night from the PKP website and dealt directly with someone there. Very helpful and I can't recommend them enough. Price was 'as quoted previously' PLN162,00 on EC 110 on 21/7/2011. I also wanted to avoid being in a pickle as I was previously a few years ago at Krakow Glowny. I wanted to get to Berlin but I had massive problems with the ticket dealer and it was a simple case of communication breakdown and my lack of ability to speak Polish and her's in not being able to speak English.

Problem solved!

Thanks for your help everyone.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Great - have a nice trip! :)