Userpic

Con
Traveller
5 comments

Posted 11 months ago

Hello,
We are going to buy a train ticket from Ravenna to Tirano for August. I kept to track the ticket available date for this route. But from one week ago, the website kept to show the tickets are available to purchase up to 10 June. I am not sure if this route stops service from 11 June or it is still too early to purchase the ticket for depature after 11 June? Today is only 27 days before 10 June. As I know train tickets are usually available 60 days or 90 days before departure. I need to confirm this train booking before I can book Bernina Express and hotels.
Does anyone know this route is still going after 11 June, and the dates start to book before depature for this route? Does anyone know the best website to book this route? As I know some of websites open for book earlier than the others.
Any of the information would be great apreciated.

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 11 months ago

The problem seems to be Trenord, who operate the regional trains from Milano to Tirano. see www.trenord.it

timetable PDF is "Quadro 180" at https://www.trenord.it/en/routes-and-timetables/journey/train-timetable/ The timetables are shown as "from December 2022" and include trains that run until 30th September and from 1st October - which must be 2023. My guess is that this regional data has not been confirmed to the national database (again....) for the summer season.

This puts you in a spot. The main (and potentially expensive) part of the journey from Ravenna to Milano is already on sale for August and prices will go up as the trains fill. When/if the Trenord connections can be included they will add a few Euros to whatever the price to Milano is - but since the normal fare for Milano-Tirano is only €12 it might be a better idea to book the Ravenna -Milano section now because that fare could rise more than €12. Then buy the connection on the day from a ticket machine in Milano (those trains are only commuter trains without reservations anyway).

Use the Trenitalia website to book the main section.

Userpic

Con
Traveller
5 comments

replied 11 months ago

Thank you so much for helpful information. I looked into Trenitalia website. It states: "Attention! You are choosing a travel solution for the day after the specified one". What's does that mean?
And the train Ravenna-Bologna-Milano are all regionle trains. I saw the tickets available for booking (dates before 10 June), from Bologna to Milano is Frecciarossa Train. I think it would be fine if I am able to purchase Frecciarossa ticket for second section Bologna to Milano and buy the tickets at Ravenna train station for Ravenna to Bologna. Is it also commuter train and could be buy at station? Also I could not find website of Frecciarossa. Would you

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 11 months ago

The first message means you scrolled down the list and are now looking at trains on the day after the one you asked for. The list will start at the time you asked for or if you didn't set a time it will take whatever time it is on your computer. This is very important if you are in a different time zone.

I thought I saw Frecciarossa for August but I must have been mistaken. You can buy the first section on the day but since they are already available it would be easier to include with the section section when it becomes available.

Frecciarossa does not have a website, it is a type of train (also Frecciargento and Freccibianco). There is a high speed section on the Trenitalia site but the sales page is shared between Frecce and Regionale.

Userpic

Con
Traveller
5 comments

replied 11 months ago

Hi MisterSteve, Thank you for keeping to solve out my problem. For the first message the attention sign diappeared when I look into Trenitalia website again. Don't worry it.
There are only regionale train for booking if I serach the train from Ravenna to Milano for August. But I can see the Frecciarossa tarin for second section from Bologna to Milano if I search the train for July. Because I will disembarking from a cruise ship and booked Barnina Express for the next morning. I hope to be at Ravenna Train Station by the midday and arrive Tirano the same day. Therefore I am looking for speed train for the second sction of the jorney. What I need to confirm is the first section from Ravenna to Bologna (the train ref. is TTPER) is a regionale train, no seat reservation required. I am able to go to Ravenna Train Station to buy a ticke and go. That's would be flexible for my time. Only the second section from Bologna to Milano speed train booking is required. Then again buy Regional ticket for third section at Milano Station and head to Tirano? Does it make sense?

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 11 months ago

TTPER is a regional train that doesn't need advance booking, same for the final section. But the cheaper pre booked tickets from Bologna to Milan are fixed to one train and are not flexible.

Ravenna cruise ship terminal is 15km from the railway station, you will need to arrange a taxi transfer. But it's worth checking whether the cruise company arranges shared transfers direct to Bologna - this would cost more but would be faster.

Userpic

Con
Traveller
5 comments

replied 11 months ago

Thank you so much for helping to work out all of my confussions. I will ask my travel agent to find out if cruise has bus to Bolonga. I also find Italo speed train from Bologna to Milano. They offer ticket exchange for 20% of ticket price, even the train which reservated is gone. But I read many bad reviews of this company online. Do you know Italo is a good company? I need your opinion to make the final decision.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 11 months ago

Italo has two reputations. The trains are good but the company has history. It almost went bankrupt BEFORE covid and was bought by an investment fund in 2018, they cancelled trains during covid and left passengers without refunds. The owner was reported to be trying to sell or find a partner late last year. Check the dates of the bad reviews - were they 2020-2021? In the short term there should be no probem in using Italo - but I wouldn't invest money in the company!

Userpic

Con
Traveller
5 comments

replied 11 months ago

Appreciate for your useful information. Then I think I will book from Trenitali. Just one more question. As I know the second section train runs by Trenitali, the third section train runs by Trenord, what's the first train's company with ref. TTPER?

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1334 comments

replied 11 months ago

That is a kind of semi-local split-of of TrenIt plus some local former provincial comp-Emilia Romagna, that runs the very local UNreserved basic treni in that province/regione. The only practical effect for you is that you have to buy separate tickets for any comp. used-and NO, this canNOT be done via agents or even in advance-they start being valid from sale and for just 4 hrs. Most Norte americano cruise pax seem unable to even grasp such here in EUR very normal conditions. It also means you cannot loose the money if there is again some strike or whatever frequently happening disturbance

Userpic

Con
Traveller
5 comments

replied 11 months ago

Thank you for your information. I understand travelling in Europe need to face so many uncertain. Just give it a go. Wish us good luck!