Userpic

freedomfri911
Traveller
4 comments

Posted 12 years ago

This will be my first time traveling using the IR pass, and i'm getting really frustrated with dealing with the can't-use-IR-in-country-of-residency rule. I am residing now in Germany, and to begin my trip I really want to go either from anywhere in the Netherlands to Krakow or from Copenhagen to Krakow, but I want to pay as little money getting across Germany as possible or better, I want to completely avoid Germany altogether. Is there any way to do this??

Rob

Follow this topic
Userpic

freedomfri911
Traveller
4 comments

replied 12 years ago

Probably another stupid question, but if I took a night train through Germany such as the link below, do I still have to pay for the portion of the trip thats in Germany?

[u]https://rail.cc/en/amsterdam-warsaw-night-train/f3776[/u]

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi.
I'm from Germany as well - and especially in such a big country like Germany - in the middle of Europe - it is hard! :(
Using a night train like the one you mentioned is not possible - at least you can use it but you have to pay the full price. ||
The best is to buy a special offer of DeutscheBahn: Europa-Spezial or something for EUR 19 or 29 to leave Germany. If you know your 1st travel day, you can book early in advance and get the special fares.
All other solutions like Shönes Wochenende Ticket or something are very stressful.

Copenhagen to Krakow is possible using a ferry: Polferries from Copenhagen to Swinoujscie. one way is about EUR 60. But I think they have a s well other shorter connections and special offers.

Peter :)

Userpic

freedomfri911
Traveller
4 comments

replied 12 years ago

Thanks for the quick response, but I am curious as to where you found tickets for 19 or 29 euros, the cheapest I have been able to find from Rheine to the eastern border was EUR 49

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 12 years ago

It depends on the date, the day of the week and extremely on how long you book in advance. Change your destination for example. I found tickets to Prague for EUR 39.
Or use a border station like Frankfurt(Oder), there I found for EUR 29. From there continue by your InterRail pass. :)

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 12 years ago

Other border stations are:
Guben
Forst(Lausitz)

Userpic

freedomfri911
Traveller
4 comments

replied 12 years ago

sorry for bothering you so much, but i feel like an idiot. Could you please link me those prices because I've been searching for a couple hours and have found nowhere near those same prices

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 12 years ago

Just give me your travel date... :)

Userpic

freedomfri911
Traveller
4 comments

replied 12 years ago

May 9th

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 12 years ago

Oh okay. That's too short to get the special discounts. The cheapest one I found is EUR 59... :o

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1336 comments

replied 12 years ago

IF you buy the IR from DB-and at the same time you get 50% off for NORMAL price ticket to border point. It all depends where you live in DE-it is big. Fe. berlin-Szczecin (PL) has now a special fare of just 10 eur- or from anywhere in NRW you can get to a NL-border point for the schoene fahrt for 16 eur. But: if you mange to find a cheap sparpreis on db-it may well be even cheaper as 50% (=just like bahncard).
und so ist es ja immer in deutschland so gewesen. Are you student-during holdiays you can slo often get the very cheap laender-ferientickets.