Userpic

canberrababyboomer
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 13 years ago

we will be travelling as family from venice to budapest, and thought it would be romantic and novel to catch a sleeper train. much to my horror all the reviews speak of how horrible the trip is. dirty antiquated soviet style service with surly border guards shining torches in your face at border crossings!!! disturbed sleep in dirty conditions!

so i then looked at the orient express which is way out of our budget.is there any other option?

somewhere mid way would be nice -or is it easier to fly?

thankyou :D :)

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi!

The rolling stock on this route is of the usual European standard. Not dirty antiquated soviet style... :D

I reckon you are from Australia, right? During the night you usually hand your passport and ticket to the conductor of the sleeping car so that he can handle possible border formalities. As you dont need a visa for Schengen area and Croatia I think there wont be any problems at night and you can sleep well.

This is the night train we are talking about, note that the prices mentioned are supplements when travelling with InterRail. I cant tell you the standard fare for this route atm but I'm trying what I can do for you. How many persons are you and of what age are your children?

Flo 8)