Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

Posted 13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am planning to travel from Helsinki back to Munich, but the route I made takes me 2 day to get there. It is Helsinki - Turku - Stockholm - Copenhagen - Munich. So please, is there any better solution so I don't loose more than one travel day?

Thanks for answers in advance!

I am pretty desperate because of this :os

traveler1988

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi.

The problem is that you won't be able to catch this connection starting from Stockholm coming by ferry from Finland:
Stockholm Central 0621
Koebenhavn H 1123

Koebenhavn H 1144
Hamburg Hbf 1616

Hamburg Hbf 1701
München Hbf 2307

But you can do it with only [b]ONE travel day[/b].
The official rule for ferries says:
If the ferry offers free transportation, it requires the use of one of your travel days. In case of a free overnight ferry, you may enter either the day of departure or arrival in the travel calendar.
If the ferry offers only a discount in price, this does not require use of a travel day.

Use the day ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm. You only get a discount on the ferry - so NO need to use a travel day (see rule above). Pay attention that the staff doesn't fill in a travel day in your InterRail pass.
Then you will arrive late afternoon in Stockholm.

Use the following connection and make use of the rule for night trains: [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-night-train[/u]

Stockholm Central dep: 2314 | night train: [u]https://rail.cc/en/stockholm-malmoe-train-nigh/f4058[/u]
Malmö Central arr: 0617

Malmö Central dep: 0642 | regional train - free of supplements
Koebenhavn H arr: 0715

Koebenhavn H dep: 0744 | ICE train - free of supplements
Hamburg Hbf arr: 1216

Hamburg Hbf dep: 1301 | ICE train - free of supplements
München Hbf arr: 1906

Peter :)

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi Peter!

Thank you, I am feeling much better now when I know that there is a possibility to make this trip to be counted as one day.
I was looking at the prices for ferries Finnland-Sweden and there is pretty big price difference between ticket from Helsinki to Stockholm and from Turku to Stockholm. According to your suggestion in pervious answer is it necessary that I take ferry Helsinki-Stockholm or ferry from Turku would be equally good?

Thanks again!

traveler1988

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi.
The ferry Turku - Stockholm is cheaper as it is less kilometres.
Use the Viking Line ferries which are cheaper:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/ferry-stockholm-turku-helsinki/f1233[/u]
If you want to start from Turku, you will need one of your travel days for the train Helsinki-Turku. then you have in total two travel days.

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 13 years ago

... but is it possible for example that I buy a normal ticket from Helsinki to Turku without using my interrail pass, only my normal passport so it does not count like a travel day (on days i wish to go from Finland there is not ferry connetions or they are night ferries, so i am pretty much stucked up)? and how much does normal ticket Bus Helsinki - Turku cost?

Thnx!

traveler1988

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 13 years ago

well, and one more thing, it turns out that neither Viking nor Tallink Silja have a day departure from Helsinki to Stockholm or from Stockholm or Helsinki, they both have only day departure from and to Turku, so that is little problem ... Is there any other company or some other way to manage this little mess about ferries and travel days or I should just drop Finland out?

Thanks again!

traveler1988

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi.

Check the websites of the ferry companies. They have connections from and to Helsinki.

Of course you can buy a normal train ticket without your InterRail pass. Check the website of the Finish national railway company: www.vr.fi

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1346 comments

replied 12 years ago

normally- STO-HEL is done both directions only overnight-just look at how long it takes. Both on Silja and Viking. Viking=red boat is usually a little cheaper, but more rowdy (drunken teeners etc.).
It is usually only about half for TUR-STO, and depending on season there are also dayboats on this line. The boats here are a little smaller and offer fewer luxuries, but for most are still very, very good. i think that on Hel-STO you mosut resevre a sleeper-berth, but for Sto-TUR you can just take a resting chair (liek bisnisclass)-I think you now have to pay a little for that overnight (not daytime).
PS: the entry into STO in the ''skargard''=inland sea is magnifiicent! All boats do a cheap all-you-can-eat buffet for breakfast and lunch. Dinner cost a lot more.