Userpic

catharine
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 1 year ago

I would like to book a trip next week including a night train which I need to reserve.
I can't reserve until I buy the global pass, but if I buy the pass and can't reserve the train I then I wouldn't want the pass!
I can pay extra to avoid cancellation charges, but that would still cost me for nothing, or I only get 85% refund.
If the journey comes up when I search the route, will it be possible to book the train??
any suggestions please, I am new to this. thankyou

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi!

With which train do you want to go?

Flo

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 1 year ago

If just one train is so vital to the whole tour it does raise the question of whether a Global Pass (Eurail or Interrail?) is really a good idea - or whether just buying ordinary "reservation inclusive" tickets might be better. Like Flo asked, we definately need to know which train you are worried about but knowing what else is planned might be helpful. You are right to wonder about the train being fully booked, some night trains are ctually just a few cars attached to other trains and once you break down the different types of accomodation each type may only have small amounts.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 1 year ago

PS: just because the train shows in an itinery enquiry does not mean that reservations are possible. But if they ar enot possible it might mean that the ar enot open rather than the train being full, so we need to the travel dates as well.

Userpic

catharine
Traveller
1 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thankyou so much for reading and answering!
I am new to this and am doing a last minute “adventure” with my teenage son.
Destination Neuchwanstein, ie Munich, by train. It is also a test run for summer.
Interrail is the cheapest way to do this and I was hoping for an overnight sleeper. I have managed to book a 2nd class overnight train on Tuesday night which may be more of an adventure than I planned, but I’m sure will be fun! I can’t see any sleeper tickets which presumably means they are already booked.
Once bought, is it possible to upgrade the pass to 1st class?
Thanks again for your help, it is going to be fun!

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

No upgrade possible as far as I know - however you can buy upgrades for single routes directly from the train companies, ie if you want to go Cologne - Munich in 1st class it should be possible to buy such an upgrade online at bahn.de or locally at a train station or ticket machine.

Since we still don't know which train/which route you want to travel can't provide more details on that.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 1 year ago

Neuschwanstein is not Munich, it's a few kilometres from the Austrian border and as close to Switzerland as it is to Munich. It's just outside Füssen which is where the nearest station is.