Userpic

stewart_life
Traveller
5 comments

Posted 13 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a newbie in European train. I'm looking at the schedule and price of train service from trenitalia.com to compare the point-to-point ticket. This is for trip from Nice to Cinque Terre region (preferably Riomaggiore). I have some questions about it:

1. Why all the prices are listed as NA? Does it mean that I can't buy the ticket from this website if one of the journey leg is in different country (in this case France)?
2. If I change the origin to Ventimiglia, I can see the schedule. And there is a direct regional train (train category is marked as R), but the price is also listed as NA. Anyone knows why? Does it mean that regional train can't be booked online?
3. Using the Ventimiglia-Riomaggiore route, there is also a possibility of changing train in Genoa using a combination of intercity (train category is marked as IC) and regional train (train category is marked as R). With this option, the price is listed. Does the price includes both IC and R train? Or I have to buy separate R ticket when changing train in Genoa station?

Appreciate your advice on this. Thanks a lot!

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi.

The best is to ask Trenitalia directly... just joking... :D

1) NA = not available ... you have to buy separate tickets for France and Italy.
SNCF (French national railway company): from Nice (France) to Ventimiglia (border station) - it is usually local rail traffic and not very expensive.
www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/paca/Fr/Se_deplacer_en_TER/Avant_mon_voyage/Recherche_d_itineraires/Default.aspx
Then via Trenitalia from Ventimiglia to your final destination.

2) You can buy the ticket for the regional train either at a station (Italy, France) or directly at a ticket machine in a French railway station. It is easy and fast to do.

3) Usually all trains are included which are marked for your connection - if you fill in a departure and a destination and the system shows you the full route with times, dates, etc, everything is included.

Peter :)

Userpic

stewart_life
Traveller
5 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi Peter, thanks for replying so soon.

Okay, I understand now about question #1 and #3.

For #2 however, you said to buy the regional train in ticket station or ticket machine. I'm assuming you can only buy Ventimiglia - Riomaggiore in Italy train station/ticket machine, am I right?

The thing is, for 1 or 2 days from now, I can buy the regional ticket from trenitalia.com website. But I can't bought the 2 weeks ahead ticket. I'm worried that if I buy the regional ticket on the day of travel in Italy, that the train might be full. So I hope if I can buy through website, I can guarantee my seat. :)

Thanks!

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

Regional trains dont have reservations, so it wont be full technically and you will get your ticket!

Userpic

stewart_life
Traveller
5 comments

replied 13 years ago

Thanks for the info, flow!