Userpic

oliverlevy13
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 13 years ago

Hi there,

I would like to thank you in advance for any help - it is much appreciated!

I have actually completely changed the route for July 2011 - my friend and I have decided to go to Exit Festival in Novi Sad; (7th-10th July) we are from London, and are planning to interrail for between 3 and 4 weeks from 1st July.

This is a rough route we have come up with: (any potential improvements would be appreciated)

London - Zagreb - Belgrade - Novi Sad - Budapest - Vienna? - Bratislava? - Krakow - Prague - Berlin - Amsterdam - London

1) My mate really wants to go to Ljubljana and especially Lake Bled - how can I fit Slovenia into this route?
2) Is Zagreb and then Belgrade the best places to go to before Exit?

Again, many thanks for your help,

Ollie :)

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi Ollie!

Have you already thought about how you want to get from London to Zagreb? Do you want to make any stops in between or want to go directly?

Lake Bled and Slovenia would be quite easy to fit it right at the start. If you'd go London - Paris - München it is directly on the way from München to Ljubljana. From there, Zagreb isnt very far away. The rest of the route is fine, however I'd to to Bratislava before Vienna.
Have a look at the country boards at the forum for connections, especially night trains: [u]https://rail.cc/en/search-interrail-route[/u]

- Zagreb and Beograd are OK to go to before Exit. If you'd have enough time think about going to the beaches in Croatia (Split or Rijeka areas) or to Montenegro which is really nice but a little off-route.

If you need more detailed help, just let us know. :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

oliverlevy13
Traveller
2 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi Flow,

I must have just beat my mate to it lol!

The only problem with my plans is that we plan to start the trip from 1st July. Therefore, because Exit starts on the 7th we would fly out to either Slovenia or Croatia and start travelling from there.

A couple more questions for you regarding this:

1) Before Exit, would you recommend going to Zagreb / Belgrade etc - I know people who went interrailing last summer and though that these cities seemed a bit dead in the summer? If not, would other places be a better option.

2) During Exit, is the option to camp (which would be most desirable!) feasible for travellers carrying all their belongings with them like us?

Thanks again,

Ollie :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

Well, for a few days, why not go to Zagreb/Beograd.

Maybe think about flying into Dubrovnik, then making your way by bus to Montenegro and start InterRail there and go to Beograd, then Novi Sad/Exit? I could be that you even get a cheap flight directly into Montenegro in summer - it's definitely worth it. :)

I wouldnt feel 100% safe having all my belongings for about a month in my tent while being at a festival. In Austria, there are often some lockers directly at the festival area (not at the campsite!) but I dont know what the situation is like at Exit.
Maybe you can find some private rooms in the area? Just thinking...shouldnt be too expensive if you find one.

Flo 8)

Userpic

DeanJorden
Traveller
2 comments

replied 13 years ago

Another thing I have been questioning is getting an inter rail ticket.

1) How much do they cost?
2) Would it be easier to buy it rather than get individual tickets?

Also what festival would you advise, exit or rock werchter?

thanks dean :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

1) Here you go: [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail[/u]
2) I think it would end up about the same...but since you wont need many reservations on your route (if any...) I would at least recommend the ticket for the part from Budapest until the end...or possibly even from Beograd. Maybe you can save a little money by combining regular tickets at the start with a 10in22 InterRail for the rest. :)
3) You can get the InterRail ticket directly here at the website, just follow the link above.

Never have been to Werchter or Exit, so cant really give you advice on that, sorry. :os But both are said to be excellent, so I would compare the lineup and then decide. Of course, overall costs probably are lower at Exit, if this is an issue..

Flo 8)