Userpic

Lordmwa
Traveller
117 comments

Posted 13 years ago

If i go to any major UK train station with a list of trains i want reservations on across europe can i do this?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

No.

You could try at one of the new DB agencies, they should be able to sell the whole list of DB products, thus including reservations for mainland Europe.

At stations in mainland Europe you usually can make reservations for almost whole Europe, at least for the neighbouring countries.

Flo 8)

Userpic

Lordmwa
Traveller
117 comments

replied 13 years ago

I emailed them to ask and if i find out anything other than what you said i will post it here so people know

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1346 comments

replied 13 years ago

[quote]No.
At stations in mainland Europe you usually can make reservations for almost whole Europe, at least for the neighbouring countries.

Flo 8) [/quote]
Well-that also was and is not so much anymore nowadays. But it really differs per country. But in many-after they did their sums and found that it is an enormous loss-maker, the railways have closed international bookings/reservations, or have pretty big extra service-fees to be paid on top of them.
F.e. in NL NS-Hispeed has only 5-6 offices open for walk-in where you could do it-extra cost is 10€, and only a max of 3 RES can be made.
In BE the B-rail/Europe now charges an additional 7€/per booking where they have to turn on the computersystem te make reservations.
In SE they ONLY do it at the 3 big towns now-and only during mo-fr office hours, even when stations themselves are open longer.
Generally in Germany, Swiss, and all of eastern Europe it is not so much of a problem. It also is not restricted-if they do it, it means they can access the computerystems (much like you in the office) and do ''all of Europe'' that is in that system.

Userpic

jens90
Traveller
11 comments

replied 12 years ago

I had this problem: i wanted to buy a reservation for the french TGV while I was travelling in the UK. But neither in Edinburgh, nor in Glasgow they sold reservations for other countries.

What we did was: we had a friend buy the reserations in Germany, scan them and mail them to us. We printed them out and the french conductor accepted it. (though he didn't really like it) It is a bit of a risk, but probably the only possibility.

Userpic

gancyboy
Traveller
14 comments

replied 12 years ago

hello ;D. I think in general you can't do reservations for another countries, except the eurostar to paris or brussels. In London St. Pancreas International Station there is a dedicated ticket seller from EUROSTAR company, there you maybe can make a reservation of trips by EUROSTAR, for example brussels-paris-london. In what concerns to another trains i don't think you can make reservations for it.
But you should read another opinions, because in my case, i only used the eurostar to paris, and didn't ask for another trains.
Hope i could help, greetings