Userpic

kpettersson77
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Does anyone know when it will be possible to travel from mid Sweden to mid Norway again? Planning a trip Stockholm - Trondheim late August. Are there buses instead of train whiel they are working on the elctrification? Any creative ideas of how to travel Stockholm- Trondheim without flying? My best bet is train to Östersund and rent a car for the remaining part.
Thanks/ Kristina

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 1 year ago

It's possible now. I'm not sure that the work has even started, it was only given the go ahead 3 months ago. Given that there are only two trains each day they may not need to close the railway for very long and buses will be run if they do.

Userpic

kpettersson77
Traveller
2 comments

replied 1 year ago

Really? I cant find it on Norway Rail, SJ or Omio. Where can I book those tickets?

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
587 comments

replied 1 year ago

You can book Stockholm-Göteborg at www.SJ.se. Norway is more cumbersome. You have to wait till 60 days upfront (so late june), then you can book Göteborg C - (Oslo) - Trondheim at www.vy.no.

Userpic

kpettersson77
Traveller
2 comments

replied 1 year ago

Yes, Thank you, this I know. However, I want to go via Stockholm-Storlien- Trondheim. That is the route I was asking about.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
587 comments

replied 1 year ago

I see trains between östersund and Storlien at www.norrtag.se and Storlien-Trondheim (also 60 days upfront I suppoese) at www.vy.no

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1334 comments

replied 1 year ago

IF there are works along the tracks-very common, then there is always a rail-replacement bus along that section, free to use for those holding any normal ticket. The most common thing with about all these nervous newbees is that they rely far too much on web and also are way=far too early. It is normal and common that bookings only open 2 month advance-and often even that is too long.
But there may be the odd case in some areas that there simply is no road to have that bus run on moreorless parrallel to rail-then the train comp.s search for other ways.
On reason why they are hesitant to publish times so long advance is that one can now claim any compensation if it gets changed/you are late-so they only do it when its 123% sure.