Userpic

Baldie
Traveller
15 comments

Posted 1 year ago

I am thinking of planning a rail tour of Norway and Sweden Bergen to Oslo, Oslo to Trondheim, Trondeim to Bodo, Narvik to Kiruna then two days later Kiruna to Oslo can anyone advise me the following:-

1) Is their one website where I can book travel on all, or most of these lines?
2) Does the Artic Circle train stop at Stockholm Airport or would I need to go into Stockholm Central and then out to the Airport and is it only a night train?
3) I seem to recall that one of these trains only book compartments(cabins?), but cannot recall if it is one of these trains.
4) Any other advise/hints would be gratefully received, Thank you.

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
910 comments

replied 1 year ago

1) Omio might be able to book everything, but whether it would do it in one transaction may be another question. And they won't explain the cabin types properly. You would need vy.no or sj.se for that.

2) there are two artic circle routes in your intinery. The one from Narvik to Stockholm via Kiruna is usually only possible in a direct train by using the overnight service (which does stop at Arlanda airport before Central) but there are other options throughout the day with change of trains.

3) I don't think any of the trains is all sleeping cars but they will all probably be reservation compulsory even for seats.

4) how are you getting from Bodø to Narvik? The bus that goes north calls at Fauske station about an hour east of Bodø so it is possible to make that journey without going into Bodø.

you mention a Kiruna-Oslo section but asked about Stockholm Airport, I assume that Oslo was an error. If not then it's basically another journey leg of some distance.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi!

1) Always best to book directly on the operators site.
2) Yes, as already mentioned.
3) There are sleeper, couchette and seat cars available all the way through.
4) As already mentioned you could cover the gap Fauske - Narvik by bus; if possible travel all legs in Norway during the day (beautiful scenery); if you want to do an overnight trip I would probably recommend Oslo - Trondheim

Flo

Userpic

Baldie
Traveller
15 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thanks Mr. Steve and Flo. Yes Oslo was a mistake I did mean Stockholm. I have looked at the bus from Bodo to Narvik and route 100 seems suitable, although I am not sure if a change is required at Bognes. I would like to do all travel during the day so how long would the daytime train from Kiruna to Oslo airport take? Are there many hotels in Fauske so I could travel Fauske to Narvik during the day?

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
589 comments

replied 1 year ago

you can see timetables (not tickets) at www.bahn.com. Stockholm airport is called Arlanda

Userpic

Baldie
Traveller
15 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thanks Arend7 , I will have a look.