Userpic

gustman
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 13 years ago

Hi all,

I am planning on going interrailing with some friends and some parts by myself. The plan is to go fly to Zante and go by ferry to Bari in Italy. Then to go Rome (with a day to visit Pompeii)- Venice - Geneva - Interlaken - Zurich - Amsterdam - Brussels - Luxembourg - Strasbourg - Paris.

I am going for 30 days so just wondering if its possible to see all the places in a month?

Specifically is it possible to go from Zante to Venice and see all the places in one week? Then the next hurdle is Switzerland. Can all the switzerland cities mentioned above (Geneva - Interlaken - Zurich) be seen in about 8 days. The third hurdle is Amsterdam - Brussels - Luxembourg in about 8 days, possible?

Any help will be much appreciated and any suggestions to the route will be taken onboard. Thanks!

Follow this topic
Userpic

Wesley
Traveller
25 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hello,

It seems quite feasible in 30 days. For Rome, including a day trip to Pompeii, you need some 4 or 5 days, leaving you with 2 or 3 days in Venice, should be no problem. Especially since the second week, in Switzerland, I'd say one day per city is enough. Don't forget to see some of Switzerland's nature though !

Amsterdam and Brussels take roughly 2 days each, Luxembourg probably one. So yes, you will manage just fine !

Wesley

Userpic

gustman
Traveller
1 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi Wesley,

Thanks for replying and nice to know my plan is on the right tracks! Are there any specific places / events not to miss in these cities? Any other tips or advice etc :D

Userpic

Wesley
Traveller
25 comments

replied 13 years ago

Well, on the way from Rome to Venice, it is a shame not to stop over at Florence and visit that city. It is on the route anyway... in Switzerland, think about taking the route of the Glacier Express ([u]https://rail.cc/en/glacier-express[/u]) and/or the Bernina Express. You might want to consider the following route:
- Venezia SL - Milano by long-distance train,
- Milano - Tirano by regional train,
- Tirano - St. Moritz by narrow-gauge train on the route of the Bernina-Express,
- St. Moritz - Brig by narrow-gauge train on the route of the Glacier Express (see link above),
- Brig - Genève by IR train,
- Genève - Interlaken via Bern by IC trains,
- Interlaken - Luzern by narrow-gauge train of ZB (Zentralbahn),
- Luzern - Zürich by IR train.
And then continue to Amsterdam by EC train to Köln (it takes a much nicer route along the Rhine valley than the ICE high-speed train), take a few hours to discover Cologne, and hop on a train to Amsterdam.

If you want to see a stunning glacier, plan a stopover at the Aletsch glacier, relatively easily accessible (see [u]https://rail.cc/de/where-to-visit-for-4-6-days-in-switzerland/f5403[/u] for other Swiss tips).