Userpic

tj0ckis
Traveller
8 comments

Posted 13 years ago

Hello!
I've been looking around for a trip between Amsterdam and Copenhagen during the day (that is dep. & arr. same day).
I found a route that looked perfect for me and my partner, which would be departure from Amsterdam 08:58, via Osnabruck and Hamburg and arrival in Copenhagen at 20:11.
The first two trips are normal IC-trains, no bookings or supplements needed. But the route between Hamburg and Copenhagen is an ICE-train, which I haven't really got my head around yet.
I was looking at price supplements for Germany ( [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-train-reservation/germany/de[/u] ) and i could see that it's suggested to make reservations for ICE International in peak times. Would 15:25 in very late August be considered as peak time??
And below the comments for the first two IC-train routes it said Please reserve, would anyone recommend me to book tickets for all these trains, none, or some? :)
We're planning to do this trip on the very last day of our IR-pass, so it's necessary that we get to Copenhagen in the evening.

Useful recommendations, tips and hints are gratefully received :D

/ Kim

[b]UPDATE INFORMATION:[/b] [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/amsterdam-to-copenhagen[/u]

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi Kim.

You are talking about this connection:

[b]Amsterdam Zuid[/b] Dep: 0858 | by IC train - free of supplements, reservation not recommended
[b]Osnabrück Hbf[/b] Arr: 1206

[b]Osnabrück Hbf[/b] Dep: 1223 | by IC train - free of supplements, reservation not recommended
[b]Hamburg Hbf[/b] Arr: 1412

[b]Hamburg Hbf[/b] Dep: 1525 | by ICE train - free of supplements - reservation recommended
[b]Koebenhavn H[/b] Arr: 2011

I recommend you a reservation for the ICE Hamburg-Copenhagen as it is often full. Without reservation it might happen that you have to change your seats or for some parts sitting somewhere on the floor - if this is no problem for you then forget about the reservation.
If you prefer it the save and relaxing way, you can buy this reservation either in Amsterdam or as well at a ticket machine in Osnabrück or directly in Hamburg. It is about EUR 3-4.

Peter :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi Kim!

You wont need to make reservations for the first two trains - the term please reserve is basically there to animate travellers to make reservations to get the railway companies some extra money. Only on friday and sunday evenings a reservation might be useful but otherwise I'd say save the money.
For the ICE, we (4 persons) travelled last summer (Sun, 26.08) Hamburg - Kobenhavn at 1328 and didnt need a reservation. :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

tj0ckis
Traveller
8 comments

replied 13 years ago

Oh that's great! Thanks a lot for the info!
Maybe i will reserve seats for us after all, we're travelling on our last day of the trip (29/8), on a sunday afternoon/evening train... and 3-4 EUR isn't really that much either.
We'll see though :)
Anyhow... thanks! :D

Userpic

Addewear
Traveller
6 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi.

We would like to travel from Copenhagen to Amsterdam by day train. Where can I find the right connection and time chart?

/ Adam

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi Adam.
Just use the schedule planer:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/search-interrail-route[/u]
Peter :)