Userpic

Alice_88
Traveller
5 comments

Posted 13 years ago

Hey,

Looking at going to Auschwitz and Salt Mines whilst in Krakow. I can see that we can get to Auschwitz by train to a nearby station however getting to the Salt Mines is not as easy. I've seen a few companies that offer day trips to both (some include entry fees, others simply provide transport)...was wondering if anyone had visited Auschwitz individually and/or had done a day trip with a company?

Many thanks,
Alice

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

No, sorry. ;)

Userpic

KrzKrz
Traveller
6 comments

replied 13 years ago

[quote]Hey,

Looking at going to Auschwitz and Salt Mines whilst in Krakow. I can see that we can get to Auschwitz by train to a nearby station however getting to the Salt Mines is not as easy. [/quote]

It's really easy to go to Salt Mines in Wieliczka by train.
Just take a train from Krakow to Wieliczka Rynek
www.przewozyregionalne.pl/img_in//SRJP/Zmienione%20tabele%20SRJP%202009%20-%202010/tabela%20120%20z%20dnia%2009.07.2010.pdf

The journey time is 25 minutes.

Userpic

CrazyDiamond91
Traveller
4 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hello we will be in Krakow for 2 or 3 days and thinking of visting Auschwitz for a single day trip, you know visit it in the morning and leave in the afternoon or evening back to krakow. how do we do that and how much does it cost? it's definitely worth it.(that'a not a question :!: )

Userpic

Hetman
Traveller
364 comments

replied 12 years ago

from Krakow Główny you have to take regional train to Oświęcim(this is where Auschwitz is).
from station in Oświęcim is about 1 kilometre to target of your trip.
trains go about 1:50 and are free of charge.
here you have google maps link for better orientation: [u]http://maps.google.pl/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=pl&geocode=&q=oswiecim+pkp&aq=&sll=41.366677,2.132218&sspn=0.008213,0.01929&ie=UTF8&hq=pkp&hnear=O%C5%9Bwi%C4%99cim,+O%C5%9Bwi%C4%99cimski,+Ma%C5%82opolskie&ll=50.035698,19.194574&spn=0.028116,0.077162&t=h&z=14[/u]

Userpic

CrazyDiamond91
Traveller
4 comments

replied 12 years ago

Thank you, thank you thank you.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1324 comments

replied 12 years ago

atually I am now in Krakow and went yesterday to those salt-mines: well worth the trip, but it is an underground very long walk! You have to join a guided walk-it is 49PLN/polish or 69PLN/english or otehr language. Takes nearly 3 hrs.
The hourly train cost 3 PLN-normal price. There are big citybuses and scores of small minibuses ev. 5 min or so-also 3 zloty/ride. No need to use an expensive passday for that!=less as 1 GBP. On the way back you can sniff some British homesickness: a giant TESCO-open 24 hrs- right beside the main road (trains stop about 1 km off that)
To Oswiecim the trains also run hourly (in fact same train-the other way)-but the station is some way from the muiseum/sight. Again there are scores of minibuses-cost 8 or 9 PLN/ride or so. All stations are awash with free timetables (as such very rare on PKP) for those lines.