Userpic

Emmet G
Traveller
13 comments

Posted 13 years ago

Hello everyone!

First time doing Inter-railing but I'm an experienced traveller of sorts! (been to Italy 6 or 7 times in the last few years)

Me and a mate are doing this route in September, flying to Amsterdam on Sept 12th and then making our way down, what do you guys make of our route? How many days do you think would be good to stay in each city? I was thinking 2 for most cities and maybe 3 days in one city? My and my mate were thinking of staying 3 in Munich because we would like to go to Oktoberfest and maybe get a Bayern Munich game in (were both big Football fans). Would two days be enough for each city?

All advice is very welcome folks!

Thanks!
Emmet

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi Emmet.

2 or 3 nights are the best option. Not too long to get bored, but long enough to have a relaxing stay.

For your visit in Munich:
- make a reservation for a hostel already right now. As all hostels are full during the Oktoberfest: [ux]https://rail.shop/hostelworld[/ux]
- the same for the ticket for the football game of Bayern München. Try to get it online as early as possible.

Peter :)

Userpic

Emmet G
Traveller
13 comments

replied 13 years ago

Thanks Peter!

The hostels in Munich are a rip off throughout Sept, which is to be expected of course but some dorms are starting at £52 per night!

If we did 2 stays in each city starting with Berlin, it would leave us with 2/3 days free after Venice, could you suggest any cities worth checking out? Marseille maybe or Barcelona maybe?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 13 years ago

I know. Munich is absolutely expensive and crazy during the Oktoberfest.
The city is full of tourists, you pay EUR 10 for 1 litre of beer - stupid. In my eyes you can have much more fun in other cities with a good night life. And definitely cheaper!

If you want to skip Munich, you could travel like this: Prague-KRAKOW-Vienna. As Krakow (Poland) is a big student city with a good night life.
Ljubljana is also worth to stay... or Lake Bled in Slovenia, Lake Balaton in Hungary.

Userpic

Emmet G
Traveller
13 comments

replied 13 years ago

Does Oktoberfest actually cost anything to get into Peter? Me and my mate were thinking of staying somewhere outside Munich and then maybe travelling into Munich by bus or train or whatever during the day? Krakow could be a option!

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 13 years ago

Krakow is fare away from Munich.
Better think about Nürnberg (very nice youth hostel), Regensburg, Salzburg or something like this.

The Oktoberfest is free - but most of the big beer tents are already full at 1600h or earlier. And if I remember right, they close at 2200h something...
:)

Userpic

Emmet G
Traveller
13 comments

replied 13 years ago

Nurenberg might be a very good option. Must look into it. Peter how much in your estimation should I bring? I'm going to buy the 22 day continuos pass from here. I was reckoning taken around the £1100-1300 mark. Would that be enough you think?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 13 years ago

I always calculate like this - it is only an example. You have to decide for yourself if you sleep in 12-bed-dorms or 2-bed-rooms in a hostel. As well if you only eat fast food or if you cook for yourself (which will save you a lot of money!).

In average PER DAY:
- food: EUR 5
- accommodation: EUR 25
- beer: EUR 5
- extras (supplements, going out at night): EUR 5

TOTAL PER DAY: EUR 40
EUR 40 X 22 days = ~ EUR 900

Userpic

Emmet G
Traveller
13 comments

replied 13 years ago

We've priced a few hostels in some of the cities were we will be staying Peter and we estimated that the average dorm will cost us £17 per night, which is pretty good if you ask me! Which could leave us room to spend a bit more on other things, like beer and food maybe? do we get a discount off the majority of tourists attracton in europe with the IR pass Peter? What way does that work?

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi!

An average of 17 GBP per night is quite good in my opinion - especially during the summer. :)

Concerning discounts with InterRail: There are only very few, apart from those for ferries/boats and private railways... But if you have a student ID card or similar, take it with you as there are often discounts available at museums, attractions etc.

Flo 8)

Userpic

Emmet G
Traveller
13 comments

replied 13 years ago

Thanks for replying flow! Unfortunately I am not a student anymore :( , but I read on thhis site that the IR pass gets you discounts into some attractions?

Can anyone recommend a few cities to visit after we finish up in Venice?If we stay 2 nights per city we still have 6 days free. What do you guys recommend?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi.

Think about adding Ljubljana, Lake Bled (Slovenia) or Lake Balaton (Hungary) on your way to Venice.
Also Krakow (Poland) is definitely worth a stay.
Of course Rome (Italy) or one of the cities in Switzerland (expensive) like Zurich or Bern is possible and not too fare away.

Userpic

Emmet G
Traveller
13 comments

replied 13 years ago

Thanks Peter! Maybe take in Slovenia and Poland into the trip aswell. Peter what's the chances of getting trains during the day for most of these cities, or is it very unlikely?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi.

Just check the schedule planer... there you will find all connections you have during the day...
[u]https://rail.cc/en/search-interrail-route[/u]

Userpic

Emmet G
Traveller
13 comments

replied 13 years ago

Peter how do I know from looking at the timetable which trains I will have to pay extra for? I know for example the Eurostar in Italy you would have to pay extra, whats the German/Czech/Austrian equivalent?

Thanks
Emmet :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi!

Just check here: [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-train-reservation[/u]

Flo 8)

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 13 years ago

Just to add: Germany and Austria are very InterRail friendly countries as their high speed trains are free of supplements! :)

Userpic

Emmet G
Traveller
13 comments

replied 13 years ago

Thanks Flow and Peter! I have another question regarding the IR pass, when me and my mate are getting on the free trains, do we just have to 'hop on' and show our passes to the conductors when they come around? or what way does it work?

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi!

In most cases that's the way it works, yes. :)

However, sometimes there are barriers at the stations or platforms (ie at Spanish Cercanias Suburban Railways, at certain stations in the UK, Portugal, Netherlands etc...) - usually there is railway staff at these stations, just show them the ticket and they'll let you pass. If you cant find anyone, you'll have to jump the gates and if someone asks you what you're doing show them your pass...never happened to me but one never knows.. ;)

Flo 8)