Userpic

irispark
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 14 years ago

30th May 2010 I'm in Sofia trying to get a train to Istanbul, I've been told the train is cancelled for today, they don't know if it will travel tomorrow.
Anybody have any info?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9333 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi.
I only know it from other travelers, that there are no trains currently (since now 2 weeks) leaving Turkey - and as well not traveling to Turkey.
But I have no idea when the train service will start again.
The travelers who had to leave Istanbul had to use a bus.
Peter :)

Userpic

catflo
Traveller
10 comments

replied 14 years ago

really??? Today I made my passport, only because of Turkey. Can I travel to there from Thessaloniki? And than leave from Istanbul to Sofia on 23rd of June? Or I have to check the bus?
Thank you

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9333 comments

replied 14 years ago

Sorry. But I don't have any information at all which I can give you. :|

Userpic

catflo
Traveller
10 comments

replied 14 years ago

I'm asking for help to a Turkish friend, maybe he knows something. If I have some news I'll post in the Turkey page of this forum . :(

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9333 comments

replied 14 years ago

Thanks a lot. Would be definitely interesting to know what is happening there. :)

Userpic

irispark
Traveller
2 comments

replied 14 years ago

I eventually found out that the Sofia to Istanbul train hasn't run for a month, couldn't get much information in Sofia so got a bus (extra expense) to Istanbul, bus works ok. I got a day time bus (Metro line, 9 hours) cost is 26 euro and they drop you at the central bus station in Istanbul, they have mini buses which bring you into the centre of Istanbul.
So I got to Istanbul and went to the train station to reserve a place on the train to Budapest ---- you've guessed it!!! there's no train, same problem as the Sofia line, (although they look different lines on the interrail map) but nobody told me, so now I'm in Istanbul with an interrail pass and no trains to use it on!!!
So I'm checking out flights etc. I'm annoyed to say the least as I specifically bought the interrail pass to go to Istanbul and I said that to the person I bought it off, when I bought it the trains were not running. So frustrating.

Userpic

hurgel
Traveller
3 comments

replied 14 years ago

are there still no trains from sofia to istanbul? we wand to travel from budapest to istanbul, via sofia...

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9333 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi.
As much as I know, trains are running since some days.
[u]https://rail.cc/en/no-trains-to-or-from-turkey/f4506[/u]

Peter :)