Userpic

zwippo
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 14 years ago

No trains are running between Istanbul and other European cities for the next 5-10 days.

I am stuck in Istanbul and are forced to take a bus out of Turkey. I was planning to take the train to Thessaloniki.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10724 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi!

Thanks for the information and all the best for your journey! :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

machadojon
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

I have the same problem!!
Did you find any good solution?

Regards,

Jon

Userpic

zwippo
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi

Yes, I traveled by bus to Thessaloniki. If you choice to do the same I can recommend that you are traveling with Metro. They run double decker bus with all you need (internet, movies, free the or coffe etc) for a 12 hour ride.

The price is 90 lira and they depart from the bus station (located 10 km from city center) at 10.00-

Good luck.

Userpic

jksplovdiv
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

It has already been 14 days.

Anyone have any information on when these lines will be open again?

Userpic

catflo
Traveller
10 comments

replied 14 years ago

hi everyone,
I have a Turkish friend who call to Istanbul Train station and ask about this problem and they say there's a problem in the rails and they have no idea when it's fixed!!!!
:((

Userpic

wirfweg
Traveller
2 comments

replied 14 years ago

A tunnel crashed somewhere between Istanbul and Edirne. I am quite sure that it will take at least some weeks to fix it. The information is only given on the turkish website: [u]http://www.tcdd.gov.tr/home/detail/?id=233[/u]

The part written in red explains the tunnel-crash and the fact that all trains to/from Europe are cancelled. As far as I know there is no possibility to enter the train somewhere after the crashed tunnel. Therefore the only choice is to take a bus or plane and pay for it.

You might check the above mentioned turkish website to get new information. Just try google-translate-service to see what the red sentence means.

Userpic

wirfweg
Traveller
2 comments

replied 14 years ago

For all those who want to travel from Istanbul to Thessaloniki (in turkish: Selanik):

There are three buses per day offered by Metro Turizm at 10, 17 and 22 o'clock. It takes 10 hours to go there and the price is 90 Liras for everyone except for students who pay 80 Liras.

Userpic

irispark
Traveller
2 comments

replied 14 years ago

I arrived in Istanbul from Sofia by bus (no train) to find no trains running out of Istanbul to Europe and no information about when problem will be resolved.
I didn't want to spend 12 hours on a bus so I checked out flights, trying to find a regular and therefore cheaper option. I checked the airlines on the interrnet - too expensive, I checked ordinary travel agents - too expensive, then I saw adverts on shop fronts in Gulhane area and I got a flight with Pegasus from Istanbul to Berlin for 118 Turkish Lira. A company called sun express also offer flights for 160 TL.
Raining here in istanbul for past two days, not cold but a bit grey.

Userpic

jpenderby
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

I am looking to get a train from Sofia to Istanbul, and later from Istanbul out to Thessaloniki, mid July/end of July respectively. I just wanted to check that both these routes are open and running, or will I need to find alternate transport?
Thanks in advance!

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

Sofia Istanbul is running, partly by bus. Istanbul Thessaloniki should resume tomorrow (2nd July) again with a bus replacement for part of the journey

Userpic

baobab
Traveller
128 comments

replied 14 years ago

Thessaloniki - Istanbul runs fine by train and the last hour by bus, not that problem anymore so time to change the topic title.

Userpic

HannesL
Traveller
4 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi
we have been on the train from Sofia to Istanbul last week
and the train went to Istanbul directly,
but they didnt know that at the counter in Sofia :D

Hannes

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2469 comments

replied 13 years ago

Never thought that there are such problems with rail!! :o i thought better about transport in Turkey.. would think twice before going there

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1391 comments

replied 13 years ago

You just have to think that tren and rel are not the main modes like in CH or so-about anyone goes long dist by plane-can be very cheap or by BUS-amazing nr of companies and connections. When you see like 1 train/day (rather: night) there may be a bus ev 20./30 mins and much quicker too.
People on trains in TR are mainly from the govmt-they pay for it, so they have to, or those who want to have amap-trains are cheaper as buses.

Userpic

Axxxxe
Traveller
8 comments

replied 12 years ago

I know this thread is old but I didn't wanted to open a new one...
I'm going to travel to Turkey in september and I've read in many places that some rail lines are still closed because of some work that is still being done. Any news about this?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9333 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi.
It is still the case.

Please read here for details: [u]https://rail.cc/de/tuerkei/xtr[/u]
And have a look at the railcc schedules, where you will find further information.

[b]Belgrade - Istanbul[/b]: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/belgrade-to-istanbul[/u]

[b]Sofia - Istanbul[/b]: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/sofia-to-istanbul[/u]

[b]Bucharest - Istanbul[/b]: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/bucharest-to-istanbul[/u]

Direct buses from Sofia to Istanbul are starting from EUR 25.

Peter :)