Userpic

AtheneWins
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 14 years ago

Hello all awesome InterRailers!

You guys have convinced me to buy a 22-day ticket in June to explore Europe with a friend! I know it's gonna be sweet, I just have a few questions to ask. I'm not sure if this is the proper place to do it, but I'll do it anyway.

So we are planning to see England and Scotland aswell but we are kind of short on money and I just wonder if you have any advice on eating and sleeping. We want to spend approximately... 12 €/day. Do you have any advice for us? Or is this not recommended at all? I mean it will probably rain and I'm not sure about the foodprice.. but I hope it's not sky-high like in Scandinavia.
If we sleep outside (which we pretty much have to I guess) is a tent a mustmust?? Say we are in the UK for 6-7 days.. will we survive? :D (We're both 18, if age is a factor, heh)

Thank you!

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi!

~12€ per day is quite tough, and will probably only work if you sleep in parks or somewhere... Depending on where you have planned to go I can strongly recommend the sleeper services available from London. You can find the details you need here [u]https://rail.cc/en/london-scotland-night-train/f1840[/u] and here [u]https://rail.cc/en/london-plymouth-cornwall-night-train/f3914[/u].
Back in 2006 I stayed some days in the UK - stayed at Calais ferryport overnight and came with first ferry to London. Stayed there the whole day, went to Glasgow with the night train. Visited Glasgow and returned with the night train back to London. Another day in London, then night train to Cornwall and returned in the morning to London and left in the evening back to France... :)
Just as an example what you can do with the night trains - the best thing is that they are free, you only need a [b]free[/b] reservation on the services to Scotland.

About eating...in the supermarkets you will find lots of cheap offers (2 for 1 etc) and basic stuff like bread, cheese, ham and stuff is also quite cheap (or not more expensive than in Central Europe). Maybe think about taking a camping cooker with you to cook your own food in the evening.
In Scotland prepare for rain also in summer - last year we wanted to go up to Fort William in August but in was rainy all-weak so we stayed in Glasgow and Edinburgh instead. I highly recommend to go to Edinburgh during the Fringe festival but the city is full then and you probably wont find accomodation at short notice. So better go there as a daytrip ie from Glasgow.

Flo 8)

Userpic

AtheneWins
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

Big thanks Flo, all advice noted :]

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi, i am also traveling this summer to GB so i have some questions. I am going from London up north to Edinburgh. My first question is where is best(cheapest) to eat fast food( mcdonalds KFC burgerking..(and which of this is least expensive :) )) or somewhere else. Also how big is difference in prices(of everything) as i go up north is there difference between London Manchester or Newcastle. And my final question is in London how expensive is public transport( buses, London tube...).
Thanks in advance

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 13 years ago

Cheapest for eating would be to go to a supermarket and make something yourself. KFC/MCD/BK are all pretty similar in terms of cost, sometimes there are Burger King vouchers floating around that get you buy one get one free deals, and in Macdonalds if you get a meal you can get a free burger/ice cream if you have a student card.

Prices for food wont be that different in any of the big cities. Going out/drinking/accomadation are cheaper outside london however.

Prices for transport in london can be found here: [u]http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/default.aspx[/u]
I realise it can be quite complicated, basically if you are in London for a longish amount of time it is worth getting an oyster card, if not travelcards are the way forward

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 13 years ago

[quote]Cheapest for eating would be to go to a supermarket and make something yourself. KFC/MCD/BK are all pretty similar in terms of cost, sometimes there are Burger King vouchers floating around that get you buy one get one free deals, and in Macdonalds if you get a meal you can get a free burger/ice cream if you have a student card.

Prices for food wont be that different in any of the big cities. Going out/drinking/accomadation are cheaper outside london however.

Prices for transport in london can be found here: [u]http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/default.aspx[/u]
I realise it can be quite complicated, basically if you are in London for a longish amount of time it is worth getting an oyster card, if not travelcards are the way forward[/quote]
I am still bit confused :| i am planing to be in london for 2 days. As i understand it oyster card is electronic card with credits witch are put on it and travelcard is one day ticket for 1-2 zone. So with travelcard i can travel that one day as much as i like while whit oyster card i would have to pay every time?

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi!

The travelcard is available for different combination of zones - but usually Zone 1-2 is enough (for most sights). Always get off-peak travelcards (valid from 0930 am) as they are a little cheaper. With the travelcard you have unlimited travel for the whole day on all transports within the chosen zones.

The Oyster card is the better solution if you only make very few journeys every day. It costs 3 pounds deposit and can then be charged at machines or counters. A single trip (off-peak zone 1-2) would then be 1,80 pounds. The good thing is that there is a daily price cap for the Oyster card - that means if you wont pay more than a travelcard would cost.
So, I'd recommend to go with Oystercard.

Attention! Oystercard cant be returned within 24h after you bough it.

Flo 8)