Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

Posted 13 years ago

Hi.
You definitely need an official document showing your residency for the last 6 months (or longer) in Switzerland.
Maybe you have a residency permit for Switzerland which you can take with you during your trip.
But only having a German IDcard (Personalausweis) with you with German residency postal address printed on it, I am sure: no one will belive you that you live right now in Switzerland.
Peter :)

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 13 years ago

You only need this resident permit (showing your stay for more than 6 months in Switzerland) with you together with your IDcard (Personalausweis) or passport (Reisepass).

Important for the purchase of your ticket at [ux]https://rail.shop/interrail[/ux]
- select the ticket you want
- fill in the data
- as COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE select: SWITZERLAND
- as PASSPORT or IDCARD number fill in the one of your GERMAN PASSPORT/IDCARD
- you do not have to add a special mark concerning your residency permit - simply have it with you.

Userpic

ChatDuCheshire
Traveller
4 comments

replied 13 years ago

I know it's a bit off-topic. I have a question concerning Country of Residency:

I am Swiss and my normal home is Switzerland. Since 01.01.2010 I am working as an Au Pair in England and I will stay here until 08.07.2010 which is more than 6 months, so it would make the UK to my Country of Residency.
Over Easter I went home for two weeks.

In July I will go home to Switzerland 'till mid-august and then I planned a trip through Great Britain.
My question is now, can I still buy a Swiss Interrail Pass or do I have to pay for National Rail Services in Great Britain?
I also don't have ANY prove that I was in the UK except my Student's Card. Would it be illegal just to use a Swiss Interrail Pass because they wouldn't know anyway that I was in the UK?

Thank you for answers :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

I'd say it shouldnt be a problem for you to get a Swiss InterRail pass. During my trips conductors only checked my passport, so you should be fine. :) But Peter is the expert...

Flo 8)

Userpic

ChatDuCheshire
Traveller
4 comments

replied 13 years ago

Thank you very much.

I think I will just try it. I am traveling with a Swiss friend, which will make it easier, I think.

:)

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 13 years ago

Like Flow said: a Swiss InterRail pass will be fine.
On the one hand there is the official rule, on the other hand the train staff somewhere in Europe. Sometimes they are even a bit unsure about the InterRail pass - don't really know what kind of ticket it is (not all - but some). And then having a Swiss passport and an UK InterRail pass - to be honest: it would be hard to explain. Easier then a Swiss passport with Swiss InterRail ticket.

Userpic

ChatDuCheshire
Traveller
4 comments

replied 13 years ago

Ok, thank you very much. This was really helpful!

:)