Userpic

Barrie
Traveller
21 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Being a newbie I'm not sure how the search function works so I'm just going to ask. Apart from my looking at travelling on the Italian Trans Siberian I'm also looking at railing it around the Southern Coast from Villa San Giovanni to Taranto (or vice versa) start of June. Is there anything to be wary of? Should I book the train - Trenitalia is not working for me so I'd have to use something like Trainline - or just book as I go?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi!

Why Trenitalia isn't working for you?
In general you are fine with booking as you go - I would recommend to take the old fashioned IC train as long as it still runs with loco+carriages.
If you want to book ahead Omio would be a good alternative though.

Flo

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
911 comments

replied 1 year ago

I assume you mean Trenitalias payment page doesn't work for you, this could be an issue regarding online card security rules.

Use their enquiry page to see the fares. If the train is a Freccia... or Intercity or (possibly) RV it will probably offer discounted fares for advance purchase. If you will definately travel on a train offering discounts and Trenitalia won't take your card then use omio but make sure they are offering the discounted fare. If the trains are regional without an advance booking discount there is no point in going through the hassle of finding a site that takes foreign cards.

Userpic

Barrie
Traveller
21 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'm good to go and buy as I go. I'm trying to marry travel with an Airbnb overnight. On this trip I don't have time to hang around.