Userpic

Barrie
Traveller
21 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hi from Australia. Don't take this the wrong way but I arrived here out of desperation; I hope it's the right forum.

I understand the old tourist train from Sulmona to Castel di Sangro is running on 4 June next but I've been unable to confirm this let alone buy a ticket. My ISP says their email address is invalid so where do I ask my questions other than here? If here I'll list them next time. Thanks.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi!

Have a look here: https://www.fondazionefs.it/content/fondazionefs/en/itineraries.html?region=&train-type=&month=

Flo

Userpic

Barrie
Traveller
21 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thank you for that. It would appear from that I was mistaken about the Italian Trans Siberian running on 4/6.

Userpic

Barrie
Traveller
21 comments

replied 1 year ago

I realise you folk are raildudes but can anyone tell me if the bus from Sulmona to Isernia roughly follows the train line. I much prefer travelling by rail (this will be my 4th use of EU railways and I have tens of thousands of miles under my belt all over Schengen)) but if I have to go by bus I will. My plotted schedule has me in Pescara on 3 June.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
910 comments

replied 1 year ago

4th June is sort of on their list (without a booking link) https://www.latransiberianaditalia.com/viaggio-in-treno-storico-a-r/
there's an email address at the bottom, is that the one that fails?

There is a fairly frequent local bus on weekdays, I wouldn;t bet on it on Sundays. It's local route 2005 but the info system is rubbish! https://tua.mycicero.it/TPWebPortal/en the positive side is that it is cheap!!!

Userpic

Barrie
Traveller
21 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thanks. The info@ email fails. And that link is where I found 4 June. I use rome2rio to navigate around EU. They show the Flix bus as operating that day.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Dont use rome2rio or similar sites, instead use the websites of the actual carriers.

What Flixbus are we talking about? Is that the one you mentioned above from Sulmona to Isernia? I would assume that this runs on SS17 between Sulmona and Castel di Sangro, so not along the railway - check openrailwaymap or openstreetmap to see it in detail.

Interesting that there are apparently different operators on this old line offering tourist trains.
I wrote an email to info at ferroviadeiparchi.it

Userpic

Barrie
Traveller
21 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thanks Flo. I use rome2rio to navigate to see if what I'm trying to do is possible - I don't book anything if that's what you mean. The reason for getting the train is a follow up to a recent TV program and it's an area of Italy I haven't seen but if the train wasn't running I could at least pass through the area. I'm just looking not staying. I'll check my road map. That email address is the one I tried but as I noted my ISP says "invalid address" - I don't know why.

Userpic

Barrie
Traveller
21 comments

replied 1 year ago

Just to add. I'm also using Mike Ball's European Railway Atlas 20/21 to help guide me. My Road Atlas shows SS17 but not the railway neither does Mike in my edition.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

I can only recommend to have a look at openrailwaymap.org ;⁠)

Also, I got a response from Ferrovia dei Parchi: the train on June 4 should be open for reservation from mid March.

I don't know how accurate and comprehensive the data that rome2rio (or similar sites) is using just be aware of that.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
910 comments

replied 1 year ago

Road2Ruin???? No wonder you get odd info! Flixbus is not a bus operator as defined in English:UK (as Microsoft would say). They operate long distance coaches and may not accept passengers on local journeys - if they turn up anywhere near on time. These international booking sites run by algorithms written by people who have probalbly enever used European public transport do not show local bus services that can't be prebooked. Google Maps makes a reasonable stab at finding local buses if you use the Directions function. In the case of this short journey it does warn that it doesn't have recent data but does give a fair idea.

Userpic

Barrie
Traveller
21 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thanks for the advice that 4 June may be booked mid March. Omio list a Flixbus ETD1510/ETA1539 Castel to Insernia.

Interestingly in the TV program I mentioned (Worlds most scenic railway journeys which is not that dated - maybe just pre-Covid) they changed trains at Castel di Sangro for a regular Trenitalia service to Isernia but I am not finding that service listed. Maybe it has been suspended