Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

Posted 14 years ago

ok first off i want to say a huuuge thank you to everyone responsible for this site. the admins, posters, creaters..everyone! the information available is amazing and slightly overwhelming lol but most importantly so useful. Im currently sat with my map or europe on one side, a rail map of europe on the other and my lonely planet guide book...heres the low down, myself and my girlfriend are planning on doing some traveling in europe in 2011 for our 1 year/valentines day treat...so will be traveling last week in january and first 2 weeks in feb. the route (so far) is as follows

Fly from UK to Amsterdam
then onto Berlin
Berlin- Prague
Prague-Krakow (night train)- trip to Auswitz is essential
Krakow-Vienna
Vienna-Venice

ive got some train times down for those journeys...the next section is unplanned as of yet

Venice to Rome (day trip to Pisa)
Rome to Paris
ideally id like to spend 3 days in paris and Rome. everywhere else 1/2. once ive seen the things i want to see im good to go lol

Now for the questions....there had to be some lol
1) Is Jan/Feb an ok time to go, we know it wont be warm or sunny but as a plus were thinking trains and hostels wont be as busy.
2) Will the trains be running as normal
3)the itinery is not set in stone as of yet as we want to see as much as possible in the 3 weeks we have so any alternatives u have will be helpful =]
4) were thinking of a 10/22 travel pass or would a continous 22 day pass be better.

im sure there will be more to come lol...if anyone has any little places we should visit in these citys and more im an open book so would love to know what your personal highlights were
thansk for your time and keep up the great work x

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi.

Still a lot of time to plan your trip.

1) End of January and the beginning of February are a really good time to travel.
It will be much easier to get a free seat or bed in a night train. Hostels aren't full. Except of the weather: a really good time to interrail. :)

2) Yes - only some long distance night trains might not run, as they only run in the summer months. But you will always have alternatives. Or at least day trains.

3) I think it is a good and interesting route. Spent at least 2 nights in each city, otherwise it will become a stressful trip.

4) Use the 10 in 22 days InterRail pass. It will fit your needs. There is as well a special and nice rule concerning night trains which will save you some of your travel days:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-night-train[/u]

And don't hesitate to ask if you have some more questions.....
Peter :)