Userpic

ruatango
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 14 years ago

I am traveling from Zurich-Innsbruck on April 25. My flight is scheduled to arrive in Zurich at 07:30. My intention is to travel by train. One week later I will travel to Vienna, also by train. I am not familiar with Zurich or European trains. I would like to know:

What is the best route for buying these tickets? I have looked here:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and found tickets, but I wonder if there is another way or a better way?

Can I purchase tickets on line and pick them up at the train station or print them out here, or must I have them delivered by mail?

If I must have them delivered by mail, isn't the ash cloud over Europe likely prevent my tickets from arriving before my flight?

How much time should I allow from the airport to the train terminal?

Are tickets and reservations are transferable to the next train if I miss my scheduled train?

Is it possible to purchase tickets on the day I arrive? Are reservations important?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

hi.
you won't need a railpass as you have only one journey.
the best and cheapest way for you: buy the ticket directly at the station.
Zurich Airport has a train station. Go to a ticket window or use the ticket machines.
Details about the fares and connections at the Swiss national rail company www.sbb.ch
reservation is not necessary on a Sunday morning.
Peter :)

Userpic

ruatango
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

Wonderful! Thanks, that's very helpful. I was worried that since I was crossing national boundaries into Austria things might be more difficult than just buying a ticket at a counter.