Userpic

Noorie
Traveller
5 comments

Posted 14 years ago

Hi, I am heading into Istanbul from Sofia via the train - I have heard that it costs about £10 on the border and you get a visa there and then. Is this right? Or should I apply for a visa from my own country (UK)? What the best way and easiest to avoid any complications when I come to Istanbul?

Thanks.

Noorie

Follow this topic
Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

If you are British you can buy the Visa at the border for £10/€15/$Something. They dont really care about who you are, its more a tax than a visa...

Userpic

Noorie
Traveller
5 comments

replied 14 years ago

Thanks for the advice on the Visa :)

Noorie

Userpic

baobab
Traveller
128 comments

replied 14 years ago

[quote]If you are British you can buy the Visa at the border for £10/€15/$Something. They don't really care about who you are, its more a tax than a visa...[/quote]

i just post to confirm SIDUDe.

Userpic

Castaway
Traveller
23 comments

replied 14 years ago

Is it that easy? I mean, I read a thread saying that they wake you up several times during the trip and go threw your stuff several times too. And also they take your passport and only give it to you when you arrive.

Has anyone actually done this trip?

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

Yeah I have, its relatively normal for the guard to take peoples passports and store them in his room (locked) but im not sure if he did on this train. You have to wake up at the border (you get there at about 5am I think), get off and go and buy a visa. Its no biggie, there are lots of other tired travellers doing the same thing so youll make a few friends before you even arrive. Customs had a quick look into the top of our rucksacks but werent that interested otherwise. I guess if they had been tipped off about something they can ask you to unpack things. Sometimes they have dogs.

Just go with the flow. Anyone who asks to take your passport should have ID, and will likely ask for the ticket as well. If you want you can ask him to unlock his office to prove he is who he says. I have never had a problem with any imposters trying to take passport/tickets from me on this train.

Userpic

Castaway
Traveller
23 comments

replied 14 years ago

So where in Europe should we look for imposters? :|

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

I dont really know anywhere thats particularly bad. Common sense is the best approach, it normally really obvious and if you befriend a couple of locals you really cant go wrong. Best advice is dont worry, dont panic, keep a sensible head on and remember to ask for ID and youll be fine, as I said ive never had any problems

Userpic

Merrpip
Traveller
19 comments

replied 13 years ago

Which currency do you have to buy the visa with? I only have bulgarian levrer on me at the moment, will I be able to purchase the visa with that?