Userpic

kknklh1990
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 14 years ago

We (3 girls) are planning our first interrail trip this year (may/june) with an 22days global pass. Our tour:
Amsterdam - Brussels - Luxembourg? - Paris - Rome. The main time we wanted to spend at the italian coast and probably we are camping. Then from Rome we fly back to Germany where we are living.
So our questions: 1. Our budget is around 1000 Euro. Is this okay or do we have to expect higher costs?
2. Is an 22days global pass enough?
Any other useful information are welcome.

Thanks for some answers.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi.

Think about having your tour with InterRail with a 10 days in 22 InterRail pass - and end with your tour somewhere at a beach where you want to stay for a week. From there take a normal train back to Rome. So you don't loose travel days on your ticket. Maybe then a 5 in 10 days InterRail Pass will be even enough for your tour.

You choose expensive cities. Have a look at hostel booking websites like hotelworld and you will see that hostels are expensive in Amsterdam. For Paris (as you are 3 persons) check cheap hotels. Might be a better choice than a hostel.

Concerning your budget. Calculate it per day and per person:
- accommodation: EUR 20
- food: EUR 5
- beer: EUR 5
- extras: EUR 5
Total per day and person: EUR 35 (it is just an example)
22 travel days X 35 EUR = EUR 670 PLUS the ticket.

To save money, have your own camping-gaz stove with you. Cooking by yourself saves a lot of money!!!

I hope this will help you. Peter :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi!

If you are camping during your whole trip, I can recommend you some places:

Amsterdam: I've been to Zeeburg and Vliegenbos...Zeeburg is quite crowded and a bit chaotic, Vliegenbos is more serious (although you can party there as well... :D ) and better connected to the city, moreover you have a supermarket some 5-10 minutes away. Zeeburg is in the middle of nowhere and you have to walk ~15 minutes to the tram.

Paris: I've written some lines about Camping at Bois de Boulogne here: [u]https://rail.cc/en/paris/campsite-bois-de-boulogne-paris/l874[/u]

Bruxelles: There's only one campsite in the Bruxelles area, I forgot the name but it'S literally in the centre of the town, just around the corner of the EU quarter. It's in a church's backyard and they only have place for about 20 tents...really nice. :)
However, if you have more time to spend in that area, I'd also have a look at Antwerpen, Gent and Bruges which are also very nice cities (in Bruxelles there isnt that much to see). Since distances are close and train connections are good in Belgium you could stay several days in Bruxelles and visit some other places as a daytrip. I've also been to a campsite in Gent, if you'd like to go there.

Prices for camping are approx 7-10€ per person and night, in may/june maybe even a little cheaper. If you want to save money it's definitely the way to go. And it's fun as well. :)

Oh, Luxembourg...well, been there in 2006 for one day. There's a campsite a little out of town but easily reachable by bus. If you need more info on that I can try to remember a little more. ;)

Flo 8)

Userpic

kknklh1990
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

Firstly thanks for anwers. They were very helpful :)

We will think about your advice to take a flexi pass. But we planned to travel at the Italian coast or to visit Venice, Florence or Milan if we have the time (or money). We just aren't so sure about everything and wanted to be pretty spontaneous..so we maybe the 22days ticket leaves a bit more room for changing our route.

We heard that the campsites in Italy are rather expensive and far away from the cities. Probably this would make it very difficult and stressful to travel a lot alongside the coast?
So do you recommend us to stay at one place? And do you know a few good campsites in Italy or some cities that are worth visiting it?
And another thing: we were wondering about a good connection from Paris to Italy (not too expensive and it doesn't has to be the quickest ;) ). Maybe you could help us wirh it too.

@ flow: It sound very interesting what you have written about Belgium and Luxembourg, maybe you could remember a little more :P

Thanks again, at write everything you know. The more information the better it is :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi!

The campsite in Luxembourg was this one: [u]http://www.syndicat.lu/index_map.html[/u] It was really OK, cheap with a good bus connection to the city. But like I've said 1 day is enough to visit Luxembourg (city)...theoretically it would even be possible as a day trip from Bruxelles - travel time Bruxelles Luxembourg (station close to the campsite) to Luxembourg Ville is ~2h45
Example:
Bruxelles Luxembourg dep 0855
Luxembourg Ville arr 1040
Luxembourg Ville dep 2000
Bruxelles Luxembourg arr 2229

I dont know anything about campsites in Italy what could help you, sorry... :|

Paris - Italy: Where to in Italy? There are two daily TGV trains to Milano (10€ reservation) as well as night trains to Venezia (via Milano, Verona) and Roma (via Bologna, Firenze). Or you go straight down to the Mediterranean Coast with a TGV to Nice and continue to Genoa via Ventimiglia.