Userpic

sarahd
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 14 years ago

Hi were are first time interrailers- two 18 year old girls. Planning to go for 22 days continuous from late August to mid September.
We are thinking we have an idea of a route,
fly to Amsterdam-Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Venice-Places around Italy, maybe Rome, Florence-Paris then get either ferry back or eurostar whichever is cheapest.

Do you think this route sounds feasible in our time frame, do you have any places to suggest to visit for a first time?
Are there any train supplements or anything that we should be aware of on this route?

How much do you suggest planning in advance- we want to remain fairly flexible.
What would you estimate to be the overall budget for this trip exc. rail pass?

Thanks for your help.

Follow this topic
Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

Yeah that sounds pretty good, although amsterdam is also great at the end of a trip...

Rome and Florence are must sees in Italy, Venice less so, though it will be nicer in September when some of the crowds have gone. If you have time id suggest Slovenia instead, both the lakes (Bled and Bohinj) and the capital (Ljuljana) are wonderful.

Watch out for suppliments for trains, particularly between France and Italy. There is lots on information on the relevant country forums.

What I like to do is decide when and where Im going to go next when I arrive in a new place. That way I can always guarantee a hostel booking etc but remain pretty flexible. Watch out for trains back from Italy to France again though, you may need to book those a couple of days in advance.

If youre staying in Hostels then between €20-25 is average for western europe, although it can be a little higher in places. Depending on how much you eat out vs trying to cook for yourselves, id estimate between £600-800 would be pretty comfortable, less if youre willing to slum it a little

Simon

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi!!

If your searching for someone to tag along, can you tell me the dates you are interailing please? I am a first time interailer too and has got no idea what to do. I am 21 year old guy studying law in London. Thanks.

Antish