Userpic

crossev
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 1 year ago

To get to Paris from Switzerland is it better to catch a train from Geneva or Zurich?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi!

Define better.

On both routes you will find direkt TGV Lyria services. Check SNCF website for timings and prices.

Flo

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1335 comments

replied 1 year ago

It will be very expensive. Prices vary with route, start place in Swiss and how long advance you book. It takes just a few seconds on compare online.
IF you hold a pass (not stated) then its always better to use local trains and only TGV (that is Lyria) from 1st stop IN FRance

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
910 comments

replied 1 year ago

"is it better to catch a train from Geneva or Zurich" rather depends on where you are to start with. And you seem to have ruled out Basel (which has all the Zurich-Paris trains and better connections for a lot of Switzerland) or Lausanne which has 3 days per day via the 3rd route and 2 or 3 which are extended from Geneve.

Fares start at €29 in Standard Class and €49 in Standard Premiere (and are stupid in Business Premiere) but these prices need to be booked a few months in advance.

Userpic

crossev
Traveller
2 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thank you for the quick responses. By better, I should say I mean, simpler, faster, and more trains leaving for Paris. I had read the Zurich station was something of a hub so I thought it might be the better option. Also, as far as I can tell trains leaving from Geneva and Zurich travel the same route to Paris.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Trains take different routes from Geneve and Zürich, meeting only an hour so before Paris.

Since we dont know your overall travel plans it is difficult to give precise recommendations.
It doesnt matter much which route is faster if you start from another place than Geneva or Zurich. And if you want/have to start in either city it doesn't make much sense to go to the other to catch the train to Paris from there.

Userpic

crossev
Traveller
2 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thanks, guys for the information. I did not realize the trains took different routes. Right now it sounds like we can't go wrong choosing either as our start location to get to Paris.