Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
839 comments

Posted 1 year ago

www.nsinternational.com/en/global-train-passes/discover-europe-by-using-interrail

scroll about half way down (after they have tried to sell you a pass!). Passes will not be valid in ICE-International trains (those from Amsterdam via Düsseldorf to Germany and Switzerland) for most of the day. Only seems to affect their section of the journey and there is no restriction in the other direction.

Nothing on Interrail website as far as I can see.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
559 comments

replied 1 year ago

Indeed, I read about it at the forum of the Dutch railway (NS community). Looks like it’s a decision from NS, but on request of DB. There are too much domestic travellers especially between Arnhem and Oberhausen (the border). It’s only at the school summer holidays (17/6-18/8) and in daytime till 6pm. You can solve the problem by buying a ticket apart till Oberhausen. The reservations are separetly (NRT).

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
559 comments

replied 1 year ago

Correcrion, it's till 4pm 16:00

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Yet another shitshow highlighting the way Interrail (the product) is (not) valued by the railway companies, how Interrail (the company) apparently has no influence in such decisions and the state of (international) railway travel in general.

Anyway, the decision apparently has been withdrawn for the moment...

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
839 comments

replied 1 year ago

noted, it has now been removed from the page I linked at the start.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
559 comments

replied 1 year ago

Probably legally not possible. They had to change the General Conditions and agreements between interrail and the train companies for it, I think.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1316 comments

replied 1 year ago

Nonsense again. They can lay on any restrictions they deem fit. Last summer was a drama on this line, also becse many trains were broke and the high nr of pass-users after the end of covid restrictions and half price sale of the pass.
Anyway-it is pretty clear that most train-comps that also have hi-speed trains do not really like those cheap0 passholders to use these too much. But the general new generation of unknowing ignorant passusers- seems to have no knowledge at all about how trains work and what lines there are and blindly follow those planners-which give the fastest trip as first choice.

Userpic

Wouter
Traveller
102 comments

replied 1 year ago

They changed their news item to 'we are investigating the possibility of banning interrail on these trains, and mistakenly mentioned that this was already a fact. Soon we will present what the measures will be for summer 2023".
But it's anything but top notch. The problem is a train shortage (ICE3M), but we solve that by banning travelers instead of allowing more or different trains to run.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
839 comments

replied 1 year ago

It is worth noting that when NS starting running trains in Britain (as Abellio) they proved that British managers are not the most useless, which came as a shock to us all.