Userpic

NORJMNOR
Traveller
6 comments

Posted 1 year ago

ÖBB Nightjet Hamburg-Zürich

Hi. I would like to book a ticket on the night train NJ471 at the beginning of April. Still waiting for the opening of the reservations. 2 months left and nothing is available. There is no ticket to book on this train leaving Hamburg at 2207 in the period 30/03/2023- 09/04/2023. After 09/04/2023 tickets are available.
Someone who knows a little bit more about that?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi!

Probably different schedule due to construction works etc, hence no ticket booking available yet.
I know it is annoying but only option is to check if booking is open regularly...

Flo

Userpic

NORJMNOR
Traveller
6 comments

replied 1 year ago

Concerning these NightJets trains: does anyone know how long I can wait before I have to change for another transport? 2 months left now.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
839 comments

replied 1 year ago

It leaves HH Dammtor at 20:07 not 22:07, also serves Altona and Hbf.

The Nightjet website is selling tickets that week - but only for seated cars not beds or couchettes. This is easter week and since there is a shortage of sleeping cars they may have been moved to busier services.

Userpic

NORJMNOR
Traveller
6 comments

replied 1 year ago

@MisterSteve. Thanks for your answer.
Where do you see it leaves at 2007 from HH Dammtor?
Deutsche Bahn Web-side: 24/03/23 (for example) , HH Hbf 2207

Weird. Easter week and no sleeping cars to book. Don't understand why

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
839 comments

replied 1 year ago

my apologies, I confused the stations with another question. Yes, 22:07 for Hbf. There are no reservations available in NJ471 any night of the week leading to easter, there are also none northbound for 4 nights that week. This suggests they are sold out already, the train only has 2 sleeping cars (72 beds) and 2 couchette cars (15 compartments) but they have a policy of allowing whole compartments to be booked so the numbers of spaces can quickly be reduced. Even the seating compartments can be booked whole so 2 people can take 6 seats. The standby option is quite simple. DB sell seats in IC60471, these are additional cars coupled to the same train but only reservable by individual seat. Look carefully on the DB website - the fare may not be the same.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

This is one of the busiest nightjet services, running with the double-deck sleepers. They won't be allocated to another service. Only issue are short-term suspensions of single coaches since the train runs in a four-day tour Vienna - Zurich - Hamburg - Zurich - Vienna.

All seating cars in this train run as 60471 with the different DB Intercity tariff.

Since regular seats are available I would too suspect that couchette and sleeper accomodation is fully booked already which isn't unlikely during this period.

Userpic

NORJMNOR
Traveller
6 comments

replied 1 year ago

I checked for this period since start of January and there were never tickets to buy for this night train. I have sent a request to ÖBB-
I let you know when I get the answer!

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thats the best way to do anyway. :)

Especially If you have specific questions I have made the experience to get useful answers most of the time.

Userpic

NORJMNOR
Traveller
6 comments

replied 1 year ago

no problem @MisterSteve . Thanks for your extra info about this connection @MisterSteve + @Flo.
Yes, my plan is to book a whole couchette for 3 people (we are a family)
Just wondering if all the tickets were sold by phone a long time ago.
Anyway..waiting now for the answer from ÖBB

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
839 comments

replied 1 year ago

they were probaly sold out via the website a long time ago because it's such a popular week. I checked the first weekend of the Hamburg school summer holidays in mid July and that is already selling online, with such limited capacity I can see that being sold out by easter.

Userpic

NORJMNOR
Traveller
6 comments

replied 1 year ago

I got an answer from Öbb. The reservations are not open for these days because they are waiting to get the time schedule. Less than 1.5 month to Easter and still not possible to book for some days. Sorry, but not very competitive! I had to change my travel plan and I chose another way of transport.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

OK, thanks for the update. And while I understand that this is annoying the train will surely be fully booked anyway.