Userpic

whitama1
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 14 years ago

Hello,

I am using the route planner to determine length of travel between the cities we want to visit. When I enter Athens, the route planner does not recoginize the city, what name do I use? We are traveling from Athens to Thessaloniki at this point.

Thanks!
whitama1

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi ...

You are right. I had the same problems the last months. Even using Athenes which worked before - no result. Thessaloniki is accepted as name. xo
I recommend the use of the website of the Greece railway company OSE: ose.gr

Peter :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi!

That's certainly a problem of HAFAS (the software behind the online planner). I think Greece isn't included in the system (even though Athens sometimes worked as a destination); Thessaloniki works because that's where all the international services to Europe run from/to.

The OSE website is quite crappy and I don't have the patience to translate all the names to the Greek alphabet. However, you could try per telephone at 1110 (plus greek country code) to get schedule informations.

I can give you the departure times of all trains Athen - Thessaloniki according to Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable:

Athen Larissa dep:
0650 IC
0753 ICE
1051 IC
1321 IC
1553 IC
1928 ICE
2039 IC
2255 night train with compulsory reservation

Travel time is ~5h30 for regular trains, ~5h for IC, ~4h30 for ICE trains; IC and ICE trains are with compulsory reservation.

EDIT: I found this train planner from OSE but I can't find Athens... :P [u]http://www.trainose.com/content/wizards[/u]

Flo 8)

Userpic

Head
Traveller
101 comments

replied 14 years ago

[quote]EDIT: I found this train planner from OSE but I can't find Athens... :P [u]http://www.trainose.com/content/wizards[/u]
Flo 8) [/quote]You can enter some station close to Athens instead (Ano Liosia, for example) and you'll get more or less adequate timetable to Athens as a change station ) some trains may be missing from such a reply, but most trains will be there )

Userpic

fubustan
Traveller
5 comments

replied 14 years ago

I hope I'm not too late!

Well try Athenai instead of Athens. It may work.

I am sorry for the confusion with OSE. At the moment not only the on-line schedule software doesn't work but the customer service is temporary closed.

As a Greek I would suggest you to visit another beautiful and surely most organized European country.