Userpic

rnl
Traveller
20 comments

Posted 14 years ago

Hello,

I'm debating wheter or not to buy a one-country pass for my next trip in April. I'll be transiting Poland on my way to Ukraine and beyond in april - this involves at least 2 long train trips. The polish [ux]https://rail.shop/pkpic[/ux] quotes me an incredible low fare for both journeys, 54 resp. 54 zloty.
So in total, 110 zloty to cross the whole country from north to south, that's less than 30 euros!? Can it really be true? Seems a bit low to me.

The first train is a nighttrain from Gdynia to Warsaw, 54 zl for what I assume is a seat. The second one is from Warsaw to Przemysl, daytime train. Both are of the TLK type trains.
The last time I was in Poland (october '09) I paid around 35 zl for a 200 km ride from Przemyszl to Krakow on a slow, crappy train and 120 zl (30 eur) for a seat on night train through the whole country, this is why I am a bit puzzled right now. Are there any poles here who can confirm these fares? I'd appreciate it! Thanks

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10724 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi!

The TLK trains should really be that cheap since they are a dedicated low-cost offer by PKP. The tickets you found are probably only available for a limited period of time and in limited quantity.

Flo 8)

Userpic

Head
Traveller
101 comments

replied 14 years ago

Well, back in 2004 I crossed Poland twice for about 55 Zloty each. These were tickets of PKP Przewozy Regionalne (Terespol - Rzepin one way and Żary - Przemyśl return). But those tickets restrict you to osobowy and pospieszny trains. TLK are a bit more expensive, so the price you quoted sounds reasonable.

Userpic

rnl
Traveller
20 comments

replied 14 years ago

That is good news! And it problably means buying a one-country pass for Poland is bad value for me since the cheapest one costs around 55 eur (3 travel days). On the other hand, it would come in handy just in case something goes wrong and I'll have to spend an extra day of travel in Poland.

...guess I'll have to take a chance and hope everything works out well in Poland!

Userpic

Head
Traveller
101 comments

replied 14 years ago

[quote]That is good news! And it problably means buying a one-country pass for Poland is bad value for me since the cheapest one costs around 55 eur (3 travel days). [/quote]
Given that it still requires reservations worth several euros each for most Polish trains - it's really bad value if you only want to cross the country.
Pass only makes sense if you travel a lot between Polish cities.

Userpic

dmirstek
Traveller
21 comments

replied 14 years ago

54 PLN it's normal price for a seat in 361-440 km in TLK train. You can also think about Bilet podróżnika, which is valid for unlimited journeys in TLK trains between friday 19:00 and monday 6:00 (weekend). It costs 65 PLN for second class. You can also buy one ticket Gdynia-Przemysl (898 km, 72 PLN) if you want to make your journey in max. 2 days...

Userpic

rnl
Traveller
20 comments

replied 14 years ago

Yes, i will definitely travel without a railpass.

Dmirstek: Thanks! A combined ticket for 72 zloty sounds like a good deal.

I have another question, is the ISIC (international student) card valid for discounts on polish trains?
Once, I got a student discount ticket for a regional train in Poland, but when the conductor came and checked it he said something about polish students only and wanted to fine me. Got away with it that time though...

Userpic

dmirstek
Traveller
21 comments

replied 14 years ago

There is a 37% discount with ISIC, but only for polish students.