Userpic

norsteda
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 1 year ago

I need to go from Nice, France to Turin, Italy on March 13. I found an interesting article about the Tenda Railway which has a route through the mountains. A schedule showed it leaves Nice Villa at 9:17am and, after two transfers, arrives at Turino Porto Nuova at 14:35. Apparently tickets cannot be bought in advance. Does anyone know if I can plan on taking this trip?

Thank you.

Dan Norstedt

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi Dan,

current schedule Nice - Tende (operated by SNCF, French Railways): https://s3.eu-west-3.amazonaws.com/epdfprdbucket/publish/FHD_05_Service_Annuel_2023_Nice_Breil_Tende_du%2011%20d%C3%A9cembre%202022%20au%209%20d%C3%A9cembre%202023_V20220110.pdf or check out https://www.ter.sncf.com/sud-provence-alpes-cote-d-azur
Current schedule for Tende - Torino (operated by Trenitalia, Italian Railways) can be found here: https://www.ter.sncf.com/sud-provence-alpes-cote-d-azur

So the most sensible option would be:
Nice Ville 0908 - 1133 Tende
Tende 1220 - 1319 Cuneo
Cuneo 1324 - 1435 Torino Porta Nuova

Flo

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1334 comments

replied 1 year ago

Yes can do. have to buy tickets separate locally for FR and then IT sector. Though if you really want it in these modern times, there may be an app for each with chance to load it on the fone-which probably then takes 5 times as long to do as just going to counter.
It is a nice line but not that enormously spectaculair if you have done most of the Swiss and IT lines.

Userpic

norsteda
Traveller
2 comments

replied 1 year ago

I have never been to this area. The Flixbus, which I have used in other parts of Europe, services NIce to Torino. Maybe this is just as good? Thank you for any advice. Dan

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

It is a beautiful railway and if you have the chance, go there.

Flix will almost 100% go along the motorway along the coast (A10 - A6 via Savona).

If you have more time and light luggage think about getting off the train at Fontan-Saorge and hike up to the beautiful village of Saorge.
Also, you dont have to change trains at Tende, but can do so as well at the station of Breil-sur-Roya. Both towns are worth a quick visit too which could be possible within an hour (but maybe take an earlier train from Nice).

Have a look at openstreetmap or openrailwaymap to get an idea of the line - it does a number of turns and spirals high above the valley. It is pretty nice.
Also in Cuneo you could make a longer stop and have a quick look around town.

Flo

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 1 year ago

The Flixbus may do worse than use the motorway around the coast, I think it pulls off to call at towns along the riviera!

International tickets are often not available from the simple websites (or Apps) but it is often possible to buy at the big stations. Just go to the ticket desk at Nice and ask if they can sell to Torino via Tende and Cuneo. But International rates are often higher than buying local tickets.

Userpic

norsteda
Traveller
2 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thanks you very much, Flo! I will plan to take the train. Dan