Userpic

Ludo
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hi
I am planning a trip through Turkey next summer, on july 2023.
I would like to buy tickets for "Dogu Espresi" train, which goes from Istanbul to Kars (east of Turkey). But I can't success...
Could you help me ?

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
857 comments

replied 1 year ago

ticket sales are at https://ebilet.tcddtasimacilik.gov.tr/view/eybis/tnmGenel/tcddWebContent.jsf

There is an English language button once it loads, but some parts do not translate. There are two versions of the train, the normal one which runs most days and the tourist excursion which only runs a few days each year and not in the summer.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1324 comments

replied 1 year ago

From german forums who tend to have always very accurate knowledge, it was noted that the touristy express seems overhyped in local media and is sold out-to agents, even before public can book for themselves. It also was noted that its not at all str8forward to book with only foreign accounts on TCDD-expect it to fall foul. Advice is also to use a local agent-read seat61,com for advice about this and recomm.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
857 comments

replied 1 year ago

I noticed on the website that TCDD actually say that on some dates the sleeping cars of the tourist train are only offered to groups. This isn't a problem with the normal train - because it doesn't have any sleeping cars!!!!

Userpic

Ludo
Traveller
1 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi MisterSteve
Thanks lot for your response.
This is a good information.
My trip is planned in july so I still have time to fix this.
I would prefer to travel in a sleeping cabin but I can also get the non-tourist train.
At the moment you can only book up to march...